Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How far it will go??? >

How far it will go???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How far it will go???

Old 11-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default How far it will go???

I have a bet with someone and we can't get it settled, so I thought I'd ask you guys. I'm usually on the deerhunting forum, but you guys are the experts in this department. The bet is how far a .22 bullet will go. I said the most it will go is 1.5-2 miles, while the other guy swears it will go 4 miles. Of coarse I believe I'm correct, but can anyone produce some kind of proof (ballist charts or something written from a firearm manufacturer) showing how far it will actually travel. I just want to shut the guy up.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How far it will go???

if you are shooting paralell to the ground i would say it would be under a mile. I think the drop after 100 yards is something like 10" using a regular 22lr.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Well I think that the guy even means if you are aiming into the air also. I mean not off the top of a mountain or anything, but from on flat ground even if the gun were aimed somewhat up.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

About a mile. The cartridge 30 06, a much more potent one, flies about 4,200 meters when fired like artillery, if I remember my tables. Bad business to shoot like that, though.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:53 PM
DM

I've read over and over that depending on what 22lr your fireing, it can travel 1 mile to 1-1/2 miles..

The ones that i have in front of me right now, say 1-1/2 miles.

Drilling Man
Old 11-18-2004, 11:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not certain on the real range, but I do know that shooting at about 40Degrees from the ground gives you pretty much your maximum range...between 40 and 45 degrees. I'd imagine that it's going to travel about 2-2.5 miles really, but I'm no expert on that...yet.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

From what I remember on the box, it has a distance of 1 to 1-1/2 miles as DM mentioned.