Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Question about 7 mm? >

Question about 7 mm?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about 7 mm?

Old 11-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Question about 7 mm?

Ok, I've set back as a guest and have read all about which gun for elk and have decided I will buy a 7 mm. I will admit I know nothing about rifles! What is the difference between a 7mm WSM, Remingtom & Weatherby Magnum, Ultra Magnum, SAUM, Express? What do I buy? Do they all shoot the same cartridge? I don't think so, but I don't know for sure so that is why I am here! Which would be the best for Elk? Help me out please! Thanks!
Old 11-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question about 7 mm?

Hello Hunter 59.

Lets see.
WSM= Winchester Short Magnum.
SAUM= Short Action Ultra Mag.
RUM= Remington Ultra Mag.
Remington Mag.
weatherby mag.
Express= 280 Remington

I hope that I have this correct.

They are all differant as far as too what caseing that they use. Same bullet dia. just differant caseings. They are used for yardages as well.

I personally like the old plane jane 7mm Remington mag. For wha I use it for it works perfectly. (300 yards and less)

If you have to shoot out past 400 yards then you might use a Weatherby, or the Remington Ultra Mag.

I dont like to take those kind of shots myself.
So I stick with my old 7mm Rem.

hope it helps a little. Maybe someone else might get more into detail than I have .
Oh and by the way. I like the Remington rifles. I have never had any trouble with any of them that I have bought.

Good luck.
hunter338
Old 11-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

My preference of the above listed is the 280 Remington. Low recoil and very good for long range shooting.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:47 PM

7mm is an excellent choice for elk hunting. As noted above, all these use the same
bullets (diameter = .284"), but each is a different cartridge case. The REAL reason for all these different cartridges is so the gun companies can try to sell you on the latest/greatest each year or two, and thus sell more rifles.

Stick with what works. Recommend you look at the 280 Remington, but if you want a little more power, go for the 7mm Remington Mag. Both are top notch for elk. You'll find a little better selection of rifles from the various manufacturers for the 7mm Rem. magnum. Personally, I see no use for magnums unless I'm stepping up to something
in the 338 or larger category, but to each his own.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:55 PM
DM

They all do use the same diameter bullet, and the "real difference" between them is, each will drive the same weight bullet at a different max velocity. Keep in mind that "generally", the higher the velocity, the more the recoil will be! (assumeing the same weight bullets are used)

For the biggest game (moose for instance) you need to use heavier weight bullets, so the cartridge that drives that heavier bullet fastest, will have the most killing power.

Bottom line is, for deer sized game, they all work fine, so choose the one you like!!

My choise for deer, blk. bear sized animials would be the 280 Rem., as it has less recoil than the magnums, normally comes in a lighter rifle, and has more than enough power!

I shot the Sitka Black Tail in the pict., in the mountains of Kodiak Island (Alaska) with my lightweight 280 Rem.

Drilling Man

Old 11-07-2004, 09:37 PM

I suggest you get a 7mmRem Mag. Great cartridge and will kill any elk in the woods. Far better ammo availability in stores than any of the others you mentioned (I guess you don't handload). Find a good 160gr bullet that your gun shoots well and go hunting for either deer or elk. Don't make life more complicated than it already is. good hunting.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks to everyone for helping clarify some things! I will now feel more educated in what to ask for when I step up to the counter. Thanks again!
Old 11-08-2004, 06:38 PM

I'd go w/ the 7mm rem mag. its very common and one the more powerful 7mm's. The easiest way to learn the differences between the calibers is to go to your local gun shop and set out the cartridges side by side and look at them beside each other. the longer or thicker the cartridge the more powder it will hold and hence, more powerful cartridge.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think if it were me I'd reach for the 7mm Remington Mag and wouldn't think twice. It's got all the oomph you need to hunt at REALISTIC distances for anything up to and including elk and moose. It kicks, but not enough to really mess up your shooting. And the best part about the good ol' 7mmRemMag is that ammo is diverse, fairly inexpensive (compared to the Ultra Mags and the Weatherby Mag especially), common and plentiful. Meaning that you can probably find the a good factory load that matches your application without much trouble, and you won't have to search high and low for it or re-mortgage your house to pay for it. All a very strong positive. Resale value of a 7mmMag will be better if you ever decide to part with it later as well, because used rifles in 7mmMag will always be in high demand.

Mike
Old 11-08-2004, 11:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not mentioned yet due to the popularity of the 7mm rem mag, choices in rifle offerings(manufacturer's/models) are higher than some of the others you mentioned.

Quick Reply: Question about 7 mm?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.