Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 12 guage shotgun to slug gun? >

12 guage shotgun to slug gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

12 guage shotgun to slug gun?

Old 11-07-2004, 01:10 AM

Default 12 guage shotgun to slug gun?

Hi, I have a standard benelli 12 guage shotgun. I'm wondering what if anything needs to be done to it to be able to shoot slugs. Or, do I need to buy a special shotgun designed for shooting slugs?

I'm brand new to hunting and am wanting to explore my options.

Thanks,

Matt J.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:37 AM

Default RE: 12 guage shotgun to slug gun?

First which model of Benelli do you own?

Second, it depends on what you want the gun to do. You can shoot regular non-saboted slugs through it if it has #1) an improved cylanider fixed choke or #2) if you buy either an improved cylanider choke or rifled choke for it. You can get decent groups with the "old" type slugs and it's good for 50-60 yard shooting on deer.

You can also buy a rifled barrel for it and shoot saboted slugs. This will allow you to move your yardage out especially if you add a scope or a good pair of sights. Ithaca makes a rifled barrel for the Benelli Nova and it sales for about $150.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:51 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have a benelli nova 12 ga.

As far as that other stuff, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm brand new to this. I do have a couple chokes that came with the gun, but I don't know if they will qualify. As far as the type of slug you mentioned, I don't know anything about that. Sounds like I have lots of learning to do before I start on this adventure.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 11-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Matt welcome aboard believe me this is a great place to learn I've been hunting and shooting for 25 years and i learn something new here every day
as far as your shotgun goes i would go to a local dealer that has a good reputation in your area and look for a slug barrel might cost you a few bucks but it is worth it
Old 11-07-2004, 02:32 PM

How much is a couple of bucks? While my wife enjoys me getting out and being more active, the fact that every week I find something else I NEED to buy has got her on edge

Matt
Old 11-07-2004, 02:39 PM

you can buy a choke tube w/out paying for a barrel. If you have a an extra $150 or so , buy the rifled barrel. You can buy the tube and be accurate out to 100yds.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:26 PM

You can get an Ithaca fully rifled barrel with a cantiliver mount for $159 at http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...712&hasJS=true

The rifled choke tubes usally run about $59 and only give you 5" of rifling.

As to shooting rifled slugs you only need an Improved Cylanider choke, proably about $25.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Figure out what chokes you have. I doubt you will have a rifled choke, but you might.

If it were me, I would first try regular old rifled slugs and an improved or modified choke. You can buy these for $3 a box, so buy a few boxes and see what you get for accuracy. It may be good enough for the ranges you expect to shoot.

If you go with the rifled choke tube option, do not shoot rifled slugs. You'll just load the rifling with lead. Shoot sabot slugs. These cost $7-8 per box, and you can spend up to $15 per box. That's expensive for a guy getting started.

If you buy the rifled barrel, of course shoot only sabot slugs.

Don't be daunted by what you don't know. Read, ask more experienced folks, check out the MFR's websights.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt Johnson

How much is a couple of bucks? While my wife enjoys me getting out and being more active, the fact that every week I find something else I NEED to buy has got her on edge

Matt
I know how that is!

Hey Matt, you can save a ton of money just shooting regular rifled slugs (Remington Slugger) out of your Benelli. That's what I use out of my lefty Remington 870. You can't quite reach out to 100 yards accurately, but with 50 yards (max) you'll be fine.

Word to the wise.... Slugs kick harder than anything else in a shotgun! [&:] Hold on tight, brace yourself, and let it rock! [8D]

Butch A.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:10 PM

Matt,

Although I haven't responded often, I've read a lot of these threads, and it seems to me that often when someone asks for help they get a whole bunch of replies telling them to buy something else other than what they've already got. If you are satisfied with what you have now, and come to understand the limitations of converting a fowling piece into a deer gun, then go with it. UncleNorby gave the best advice.: Start by buying several brands of rifled slugs and see which ones group the best at 25 and 50 yards. Then buy lots of the ones that work the best and practice, practice, practice, at various ranges out to about 75 yards or so. You can get pretty good results with a smoothboore as long as you understand that you don't have a rifle, and won't get the same performance as a rifle. IF you can group 3 shots within 4" circle EVERYTIME you shoot at 50 yards, then you can feel confident that you can hunt deer at that range. Then you focus on what is really challenging for beginners--getting within 50 yards of a deer.

One more point before anyone else brings it up: any type of sights, or scope will improve your effectiveness over a bead, and eventually you may want to go that way. But if you just want to go hunting, and can't afford to buy everything there is to buy, then pratice with what you have until you are effective with it.
face the facts: you have a shotgun that is designed to point and not aim. don't let that discourage you from getting your venison.

Quick Reply: 12 guage shotgun to slug gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.