Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Slugs with smooth bore >

Slugs with smooth bore

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slugs with smooth bore

Old 11-02-2004, 10:20 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Slugs with smooth bore

Or 100 dollars for a fully rifled barrel and be done with it. And your not stuck with a single shot.

Old 11-02-2004, 10:26 AM

Unless your on a drive , why do you need more than one shot ? Your always putting down my H&R BigC , why is that ? First the weight , then the single shot ? Are you not accurate ? Everyone I know that has one , loves it , and dont even use their rifles anymore. ONE SHOT ONE KILL
Old 11-02-2004, 10:38 AM

Interesting. So, with a fully rifled barrel or a rifled choke tube, you pretty much ALWAYS want to use sabots. And, this makes sense to me, since a rifled lead slug would "grab" at the rifling in the barrel.

- the cheapest I've seen a rifled slug barrel for my Winchester 1300 is ~$170. Of course, I don't really know THE best places to look for the best prices.

- it sounds like my biggest limitation may be that i only have a front bead on my barrel. It probably wouldn't cost me too much to add a rear sight, right? Any recommendations (where to go, what to get?? thx).

I belive my course of action should be the following: (1) fit my barrel with a rear sight, (2) shoot away with my choke tubes and see how far away i can get a good group w/ rifled slugs (looking at Remington Sluggers: 3 in. vs. 2 3/4 in. ... high velocity vs. regular??)
Old 11-02-2004, 10:41 AM

P.S. I agree with slugman, one shot should be all we need. If it goes beyond one shot, 6" accuracy goes out the window when you're shooting at a running deer!
Old 11-02-2004, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'll need a front sight too. That bird bead is too big. You can get sets of sights that mount on vent ribs specifically made for this purpose. Cabelas and others have them.

You should be able to get an idea of the performance potential of your gun with rifled slugs without buying the sights. Just be sure to be consistent with how you aim it. See what groups you get. If it's good enough, then think about new sights. If nothing works well enough, go to a rifled choke, or a rifled barrel.

If you do go to a rifled barrel and want a scope, be sure to get the style that allows the scope to mount to the barrel via a rail or cantilevered mount.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Uncle Norby is right about needing a front sight to go with your rear sight..

IF your gun has a rib you are all set...You can get a set of fully adjustable front and rear sights for under $40, probably under $30...

Dont bother with the 3" mag rifled slugs... You gain a LOT of recoil and not that much performance, and many guns don't group as well with the 3" slugs as they do with 2 3/4"...
Old 11-02-2004, 11:43 AM

termiflyer , just noticed your from Ithica NY , you cant get a steal of a price on an Ithica Deerstalker ? How far is the factory from ya ? Make sure of the laws with slugs , in NJ if you hunt with slugs you must have a scope or iron sights
Old 11-02-2004, 01:22 PM

slugman - Ithaca Gun is about 10 miles north of town here. I would like to get an Ithaca, no doubt, and I could probably get a good deal ... but money is tight right now!!!
Old 11-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot Winchester Super-X 2¾" rifled slugs out of an 870 Wingmaster with an IC choke and can hit pie plates consistently past 75 yards from the bench. Offhand I'm good between 50-75 yards. And that's with only a front bead.

Rifled barrels are great for those long shots, but a smoothbores can certainly get the job done with the right ammo. Just get out there and pattern.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:36 PM
bigcountry

Oh, slugman, I was just giving you a hard time cause you really like your H&R.

I refuse to ever shoot one. I don't even want temp myself in changing my mind.

Quick Reply: Slugs with smooth bore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.