Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Nikon Pro Staff, Leupy Rifleman or VX-1- opinions? >

Nikon Pro Staff, Leupy Rifleman or VX-1- opinions?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Nikon Pro Staff, Leupy Rifleman or VX-1- opinions?

Old 10-24-2004, 07:01 PM

Default Nikon Pro Staff, Leupy Rifleman or VX-1- opinions?

Not really trying to nickle and dime things, but was wondering if the Nikon Pro Staff line of 3x9s were exceptional values? at that price, they have the life-time warrenty, clicks in their turrets, etc. the Leupold VX-1 I was thinking of doesn't have elevation and windage clicks, and is a bit higher. The Rifleman from Leupy doesn't either. I kind of like the clicks for sighting in, even it is only once or twice ever. I ask because my local dealers don't have any of the above (it's almost gun season, so out of stock, etc) for me to look through and compare on the counter. So I'll be ordering from Midway USA.

I'm putting together a Weatherby Vanguard (Howa) 30-06, and I know I want a 3x9, maybe a 2x7. At $124 dealer price on the Nikon 3x9 Matt Pro-Staff, I admit it caught my eye.

Then again, I'm thinking of waiting till the Spring to put this girl together, and getting past the Xmas $$$ and saving up for a VariX-II or a Monarch.

opinions appreciated, just thinking out loud on a slow Sunday evening,

Ken B
North Texas
Old 10-24-2004, 07:08 PM

Default RE: Nikon Pro Staff, Leupy Rifleman or VX-1- opinions?

Before paying two hundred bucks for a Leupold Rifleman I would pay less than a hundred for a Bushnell Trophy. The Rifleman has single coated optics, and I was not at ALL impressed with it.

The Trophy has RESETTABLE 1/4" finger lick adjustments, very nice for zeroing and later making elevation or windage adjustments. They are rugged and the optics are reasonably good, better than the Rifleman anyway.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

The pro staff Nokon is a winner. Its not the bells and whistles stuff but it gets the job done. By the way I totally agree with the opinion on the Bushnell Trophy. Great scope, great price.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a thought...

I just picked up a Burris FFII 3-9X40 with a 20X50 spotting scope from NatchezSS for 190. Without the spotter is 170.

I know it's 45 more beans, but for the price I think it blows the doors off the scopes you have listed. And at those prices, it really is a steal...
Old 10-24-2004, 09:01 PM

I like the Nikon and the Burris. Just bought a Nikon Pro-Staff and am very happy with it. Happier then I am with a Leupold VX-I I own and I paid $50 less for the Nikon!
Old 10-26-2004, 08:01 PM

I have the nikon prostaff in 2x7 and the leupold vx1. 2x7...the nikon gets the nod, the optics seem a little better and the clicks make it easier to all around. Both seem to be made well, and both have done field duty well.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:37 AM

I would go with the Nikon. I bought the Pro Staff 4wks ago and put it on a new rifle and it sighted in great. It seemed as clear as the leopold and $50 cheaper. It is a winner! CG
Old 10-31-2004, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

In that price range I would take a strong look at the Simmons Aetec, It has fully multicoated lenses and is shockproof/waterproof. Is it the best quality scope out there? Probably not... Is is it the best bang for the buck in that price range? Definately!
Old 10-31-2004, 12:23 PM

Go with the Leupold,
The first two scopes I ever bought was a brand new Nikon Buckmaster and a brand new Bushnell Sportsman, both had to be sent back to the factory for repairs . The only scope I trust anymore is the Leupold. It may cost a little more, but it is built and warrantied for life. Plus, it's one of the few scope companies that still makes all of it's products in the USA. Nikon makes their's in the Philippines, and most companies make theirs in China [:@]. Buy a Leupold and you're helping employ a fellow American .
Old 10-31-2004, 10:29 PM

'head thats it, you are a newbie. I knew it, and thats fine. But you broke BOTH of your first two scopes, that right there tells me something. The Bushnell is prone to breakage but they still fix em. The BuckMasters you got was a fluke that it broke (but like I said, based on your experience we cant leave out operator error now can we?)

And sadly I must inform you AGAIN, that Leupy's glass is supplied from the Phillippines. They are no longer a 100% American scope maker.

But have a NICE day,
RA

Quick Reply: Nikon Pro Staff, Leupy Rifleman or VX-1- opinions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.