Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 youth deer rifle >

youth deer rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

youth deer rifle

Old 10-20-2004, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default youth deer rifle

I have a 10 year old that wanted to go deer hunting this year. I took him to the range and he tried his brothers .243 win. The recoil was a little more than he wanted to shoot again so he decided to wait until next year to go deer hunting ( he wasn't real thrilled with his .410 either). In another discussion on this board a member is planning on using a .223 due to an injury; now my question. If he got one of those in a NEF ( they do make a youth model in .223 and it is legal in Maine to use it) and the shots are limited to 50 yards MAX and it's reloaded with a premium bullet ( I do reload) should I let him give it a try?
Old 10-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: youth deer rifle

In my opinion if he can't handle a 243 Win then he needs to wait until he can. It is bad enough to have "experts" using a 223, much less kids. It takes perfect shot placement. You might want to get him a PAST recoil pad. They really reduce felt recoil.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

frizzeller, thanks, I had always considered the .243 the minimum ( even though my home state allows the .22 mag) but when I read the other thread it got me to thinking
Old 10-20-2004, 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: NE Hunter
I have a 10 year old that wanted to go deer hunting this year. I took him to the range and he tried his brothers .243 win. The recoil was a little more than he wanted to shoot again so he decided to wait until next year to go deer hunting .....
It's great that he wants to go hunting, but he's right to want to wait another year or two.
(smart boy - knows his limitations). The .243Win. should be considered the bare minimum for deer hunting IMHO.
Of course, this doesn't mean he can't go hunting with you. If you're stand hunting let him watch with you. He can use the binoculars. Teach him to read sign, tracking, etc.
He'll love it, I'll bet.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:08 PM

if you hand load you might want to try some 85 grain barnes x bullets though that 243. this will reduce the recoil but it still is a deadly dear getter. or for about $30 you can get a good recoil pad and that should help out a lot.

if not then let him sit and watch how good ol dad dose it
Old 10-20-2004, 10:06 PM

NE Hunter, whatever caliber you get him is not so important as how well he can shoot it, and how mentally ready he is to hunt. My 12 year old wants to hunt also, but he was "too busy" with other things to want to go to a hunter's safety class. He actually shoots my .30-06 and claims no discomfort, although he doesn't shoot it quite well enough yet that I would let him shoot at an animal with it. I asked him if he wanted to go with me this year just to be with me, and he said probably not, he would get bored if he could not hunt also. This tells me, sadly, that he just isn't ready for hunting yet; I really believe that kids should demonstrate some responsibility and drive before arming them and bringing them into the woods.

Sounds like your son will be a fine hunting partner some day. Sure hope mine will be too.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, for the info everyone. All of you have re enforced my conviction on the .223 not being a deer gun. If I can find one for him I might get it as a step up from his .22LR and bridge the gap to the .243. I shoot a .454 casull now but I didn't start there and it might be good for him to shoot a light CF like the .223 to start with and then move on. If ican fnd a used youth NEF in .223 Ican get it rebarreled for him when he's ready.

I liked the ideas of him tagging along with me.

Thanks again everyone
Old 10-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

also might wanna try the remington reduced recoil ammo. the ballistics on it are pretty impressive, and i've talked to a couple people who have fired it with satisfactory results
Old 10-21-2004, 09:37 AM

Remington make a model 7 for those smaller folks. It comes in a few calibers. I think the .260 is about the best white tail round you can get. shoot it with a 120Gr and the deer will fall and you young hunters won't be recoil shy.

I picked up one for my 7 and 11 year old boys to use and I sometimes take it our over my Rem 700 .270. They each took their first bucks, 8pts each and does last season using it.

Get the trigger done right away, makes a big improvement.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:48 AM

...I really believe that kids should demonstrate some responsibility and drive before arming them and bringing them into the woods.
You're a good dad. Hunting needs more fathers like you.

Anyway, here's an idea for a youth deer gun: Marlin 1894C. Lots of hunters knock deer over with 'em. They're small, have virtually no recoil (my very petite wife, who hates recoil and won't shoot a 30-30, doesn't even notice the .357).

Plus (I've said it a lot, and will say it again), they're so darned cute!

Quick Reply: youth deer rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.