Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looking for a .45 ACP bolt action rifle >

Looking for a .45 ACP bolt action rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for a .45 ACP bolt action rifle

Old 10-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking for a .45 ACP bolt action rifle

No one likes controlled round guns, and most guys that buy them screw them up by dropping rounds in the chamber. It might be possible that a CRFP action could handle it, but I'm not certain, it's pretty hard to get a basketball to pick a direction without spinning.
All you need is for the magazine to hold the rounds close to the chamber. You could have a bolt that is a foot long and it wouldn't matter so long as that when the bolt face contacts the rim, the bullet is starting up the feedramp.

1911s are controlled feed system- they don't have a rotating claw like a mauser 98 type rifle, but the rim of the cartridge must slide up under the clawlike extractor on a 1911 in a very similar fasion as with a mauser 98. A controlled feed system is what you almost absolutely need for this setup in a rifle, and the last time I checked, controlled feed rifles are still pretty popular.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Briman, although the Mauser 98's remain incredibly popular, there aren't many true controlled round rifles still produced, at least not by american manufacturers...Many are controlled round PUSH FEED rifles (hence the CRPF mentioned in my last post), which basically feeds like a controlled round rifle from the magazine, letting you cycle the action on your back if you wish, but they ALSO allow give up a little control in having a float/flex built in to allow you to drop a round in the chamber or open action and close the action with no damage to your gun...you'll note that in 1911's if you drop a round in the chamber and close it, it wears out (sometimes breaks) the claw extractor, and often does BAD things to the cartridge rim....

For educational purposes in class's I've helped teach, I used to have a round that a buddy of mine used to keep in his 1911...he had 8rnds of HP ammo that he kept for home defense purposes...everytime he went out and shot his gun, he'd take out the mag, then jack out the one round, then when he was done he'd load these back up when he got home, instead of properly loading his gun, he'd drop one in the chamber, let it close, then load a full mag....so the same round took all the abuse...after he went through four extractors he asked me what was wrong, I knowingly asked him how he loaded it and we found out...there was basically NO RIM left on that round, I used it and some broken extractors and that story to illustrate how you should KNOW YOUR GUN.

I did say it could be possible, but I still don't picture anyone doing it...one thing that would make things "easier" would be to have the magazine positioned as close to the chamber as possible, so that the bolt only carries the round as far as necessary, instead of at the back of the action where it intuitively should go...my point is that the round needs a LOT of direction, and it better be feeding into the chamber by the time it disengages the mag lips otherwise it's not going in.

If it could be done in a budget rifle of good quality and was marketed with budget target practice in mind (similarly to how the Ruger 77/22 or the 22/45 are marketed as "practice guns" for your big bores), then it might be feasible that someone might buy them. Might be a cool new direction for "Cricket" rifles, granted they're single shots, (although I have seen a 3rnd conversion done!!!), but they'd set the market.

Personally, on a side note, I'd like to see more .45auto semiauto carbines out there...between Thompsons and 1911 conversions, I'm not aware of many other options? Either of those two are basically as expensive as a good AR-15, while a 9mm carbine or .40S&W carbine can be had for a couple hundred bucks...never have understood why they don't just make one of those budget carbines in .45 also....I'd be all over one!
Old 10-20-2004, 09:58 PM

Why do I want one? Because stock .45 ACP in a short barrel is going to be subsonic. Being subsonic it's going to suppress easily. Being a bolt action it will be quieter than a Marlin Camp Carbine in semi auto.

Makes for an excellent animal control gun. It beats the .44 Mag rifle in the near same config because I don't have to handload to get subsonic with a very heavy projectile.
Below is an example of what I'm talking about. As a firearms MFG I can convert existing bolt guns and build the suppressor...but was looking for a factory bolt action .45 ACP as the host firearm.

Old 10-21-2004, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Briman, although the Mauser 98's remain incredibly popular, there aren't many true controlled round rifles still produced, at least not by american manufacturers...Many are controlled round PUSH FEED rifles (hence the CRPF mentioned in my last post), which basically feeds like a controlled round rifle from the magazine, letting you cycle the action on your back if you wish, but they ALSO allow give up a little control in having a float/flex built in to allow you to drop a round in the chamber or open action and close the action with no damage to your gun.
The rifles you are talking about are the likes of winchesters and springfields. They are different from mausers in that they have a coned breach and have more play in the extractor to allow for it to snap over the cartridge rim. There is no difference otherwise in funcrtion betweeen them and a true crf like a mauser.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sot- very cool concept- the Brittish used the exact same concept in WWII called the DeLisle carbine- an enfield with a .45 suppressed barrel on it.

I did a search on Delisles and found these links:
http://www.keystonearms.com/gunsfs~non.html
http://www.valkyriearms.com/delisle.htm

By the looks of the prices, it would be cheaper to build your own.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:46 PM

There's one out there. Several years back I had the chance to shoot a bolt action 45 ACP rifle. Barrel length between 16 and 18 inches, bolt action, used a stripper clip for 3 shot max capacity, barrel was threaded for silencer, very compact gun. I was told it was a short range sniper rifle. At a short distance of 25 yards all shots shot through the same hole with only a slight clover leaf to identify they actually went through the same hole. My partner was spotting with a scope and swore I missed every shot after the first shot. It wasn't until we walked to the target that we found out how accurate the gun was.
I found your question and this forum because I'm trying to find that same mft/model gun now. I'll re-post a reply if I find one.