Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which caliber fits the bill??? >

Which caliber fits the bill???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which caliber fits the bill???

Old 10-18-2004, 09:16 PM

Default RE: Which caliber fits the bill???

7mm-08
Old 10-18-2004, 09:36 PM

there are lots of great calibers for small folk. Calibers 243, 6mm, 250savage, 257roberts, 260, 7mm08. The 25-06 is a much more effective caliber than any of these, but is a 30-06 case necked down and does kick noticeably more than those I listed. Some shorter rifles I like are ruger#1s, remington 600's ,660's and model 7's.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry, when you said the .25-06 is a tad "overbore" did you mean it's "over kill", or that it really is "overbore"? I've never heard that the .25-06 has issues of overbore (more powder than it's bore can really burn), I've always understood it to have a pretty good relative bbl life, and pretty low reports and muzzle flash (in the right loads of course), which are all indicators that it's not overbored....That's just my experience, which I've not had a terribly large amount of with the .25-06.

As far as being over KILL, yes, I'd agree that it's a tad over kill for varmints, however, serving double duty, I'd say it's a good choice.

There are a great number of rounds that would serve this niche, the .243win or WSSM, .25-06, .257Roberts, 6mmPPC, 6.5x55swede, 7x57mm mauser, 7mm-08, 7-30waters, and the list goes on and on. My choice would probably be the 6mm PPC, but it's not typically a good choice for most people (good luck finding one, then good luck finding ammo-which you'll pay premiums for). The 7mm mauser or 6.5x55swede mauser are also great rounds that you should consider.

Just from your two, I'd go with the 7mm-08, in a compact rifle...but my suggestion would be either of the above metrics or the .243WSSM.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:12 AM

25-06
Old 10-19-2004, 11:37 AM

Leaning towards the 7mm-08 in a lighter rifle. Not necessarily a compact but something like a A-bolt composite stalker. Weighs in at 6 lbs 4 oz. With scope and all probably be close to 8 lbs when its all said and done. Not too bad. More concerned about the muzzle blast and the recoil than the weight. Wonder what the recoil would be like out of it....probably very tolerable???

I like the idea of the 243 and I don't want to bash the 243...just have heard people refer to it as the "deer crippler" too many times. Think the 7mm-08 will do it more efficiently with still manageable recoil.

For my purpose...I don't want a compact-style rifle with a short barrel. I'll be using this rig too when deer hunting in the woods. I like the idea of a Model 7 in 308 but it would be too much for her...but it would make a nice rifle for the woods...no doubt!

I guess the coyote thing isn't all that important really since it's really just the occasional pest control on the farm. Haven't become a varmint guy just yet. At this point, I'm not concerned about the hides. Can use my 270 with lighter loads if need be for those long shots.

Thanks again.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:03 PM
bigcountry

Nope, I meant overbore. I can't imagine barrel life would be near a 270 or a 30-06. They are cramming 60gr of powder in some of the loadings for a 117gr to 120gr bullet. I think they should have stopped necking down the 30-06 case when it came to the 270win. That would be my limit. If you can't deer hunt with a 243 and 100gr bullet, you shouldn't be hunting.

Either caliber would work great. Buy what you want, its your money.

Old 10-19-2004, 02:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have had three 25-06's. I shot two of them a lot. NO Problem what-so-ever with excess barrel wear. They are quite easy on barrels and much more effective on game the size of deer and antelope. I would pick the 243 for just varmits of the ones mentioned but never mostly for deer. I class the 243 about at the level of the 22-250 for deer. just my opinion but from a lot of expierence with both of them. I have also had three 243's.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

The .243 was designed for exactly what you are asking for. A one gun compromise for a varmint gun and a deer gun.

I wouldn't buy one strictly for varmints or for deer hunting. But for one gun for both it does the trick.

I would like maybe a 6.5 X 55 or a .260 or a .257 Roberts or a 250/3000 savage better.

I do hear great things about the 7mm/08.

As I've said before, I usually fall in love with a rifle and buy it for that reason and not because of any logical reason.

Robin
Old 10-19-2004, 04:56 PM
bigcountry

Goodness, gracious, James B, your kidding me right? Do you really not have that much confidense in your shooting skills? Ted Nugent kills a majority of his whitetails with a 243. I think you are just pulling my leg a tad.

Old 10-19-2004, 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: bentbarrel
Leaning towards the 7mm-08 in a lighter rifle. Not necessarily a compact..... For my purpose...I don't want a compact-style rifle with a short barrel. I'll be using this rig too when deer hunting in the woods. .....
Lightweight 7-08, take a look at the Remington 700 LSS Mountain Rifle - laminated stock,
22" barrel, stainless barrel/action. Weight is approx. 6-1/2lbs. I've got one in .270Win.
and it's really a pleasure to carry, very accurate too.

Quick Reply: Which caliber fits the bill???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.