Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which Scope for Lever 30-30 >

Which Scope for Lever 30-30

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Scope for Lever 30-30

Old 10-13-2004, 05:51 PM

Default Which Scope for Lever 30-30

I'm thinking of getting a 30-30 lever action, probably a Marlin 336(?). I'm also thinking of outfitting it with a simple 4x scope because, in my second century, my eyes aren't what they used to be.

I'm not asking for specific make/model suggestions (that will be determined by availability and price point!), but rather which *type* of scope can one use on a gun like this? I'd like to get something that's fairly compact. Why? Maybe because I think it would balance better and maybe because I think it would "look" better as well. I've done some reading on the web, but really can't figure it out.

So... What kind of scopes can work on this kind of gun:

regular length or compact rifle scope
pistol scope
shotgun scope

I know it has to do with eye relief more than anything, but I'm not sure what eye relief is needed compared to my plain old Winchester M70.

Thanks much.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which Scope for Lever 30-30

For my 336 which I rarely use any more I have a flip over mount and a fixed 4 X. On my lever action model 88 in 308 I have a 3X9 and also a flipover mount. I leave them in the fixed position, ( I dont flip them back and forth) so they will remain more solid and hopefully accurate.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:07 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

If you like a 4 power that would be a good match for that rifle. It would likely sit closer to the barrel making it more accurate.
I just sighted in my 30-30 with a big 50mm 4-12. It's overkill but I had the scope already and figured I'd put it on the rifle till I can buy somethin that's more approriate.....I do like how it's easy to find things in the lens with that setup. It looks kind of silly given the distance limitations of the weapon, but looks don't drop deer.

David
Old 10-13-2004, 07:14 PM

If you're going to get a 30-30, then the Marlin is the way to go. As to the scope, I'd
have to suggest you look into the Weaver 1-3x model. It's a matte finish, very compact,
and the magnification range is great for close in hunting, and with 3x available there's
plenty of power given the normal ranges in which a 30-30 is used.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:31 PM

1-3x or fixed 4x will both be good. Next get the smallest most compact scope you can find/afford. I would opt for a 1-3 or 4x20. I had a regular sized 3-9x32 on mine and ripped it off as soon as the season was over last year. It was just too big and heavy for that light little rifle. I dreaded carrying it because it was too awkward. I can't afford to put a new scope on it this year so I'm going with a Williams peep sight. It's almost as accurate (even with my HORRIBLE eyesight) and a joy to carry. Hope this helps. let us know what you decide. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I'd opt for a 3-9x42mm...Yes, the rifle IS a mid-range cartridge, Yes, you'll be limiting your shots to under 250yrds (more likely 150), and YES, you do want to make sure you're actually pointing at his vital area, and not a little off because you can't see well enough. You might not ever get to hunt to the range the scope is capable of (although you'd be hard pressed to shoot a deer out of range of a 9x glass with any cartridge), but you KNOW where you're aiming.

Look at most open sights' manuals or specs., it's quite common for them to be less accurate than 1MOA, just in their own admission of "shifting". I.e. if you hold your front sight perfectly centered in the rear, it's dead on, but if you let it "lean" farther one side than the other, it's off an inch....Here's a surprising example:

Say I've got a "PERFECT" rifle with a 20" sight to sight radius, POA is POI EXACTLY...now, if I hold the sights PERFECTLY alligned, I get a hole centered around where I aimed....NOW, if I hold my front sight just 1/64" off, my shot lands 2.8" off of center at 100yrds....if I'm off by 1/32", it's 5.6" at 100yrds. 1/32" at 20" comes out to less than .1 degrees, pretty certain you're not that steady, and don't have that descerning of eye!!!!

My old man made fun of me for a long time when I put a 4-16x42 on my 44mag lever rifle, until one day I told him I'd like to mount it on HIS .44mag lever rifle and see what happened...He swears his rifle is no good and can't hit anything in anyone's hands, which is pretty well true with the factory sights...I mounted that scope and reduced my groups from 10" at 100yrds to about 4"...he doesn't make fun of my scoped lever rifle anymore.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Leupold Fixed Power M8-4x33mm on my Marlin Model 336 .30-30 Win., and it is a perfect set up. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 4x28mm on my 336 when I feel like using a scope, most of the time i just use open sights but in some cases a scope is very helpful ( eyes arent as good as they used to be). that size of scope has a perfect feel sitting on top of a marlin 336 plenty of magnifacation for what you will be doing with a 30-30 and doesnt add much weight to the gun either. I also use the same kind and size of scope on my remington Mountain rifle in 308 win. hope this helps
Old 10-14-2004, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would put a 3x9 on it...
Old 10-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a 1.5x4x32 on my lightweight rifle. I really like it. I would be happy with a straight 4 power es well.

Quick Reply: Which Scope for Lever 30-30

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.