Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Bear, Elk, Whitetail Rifle???? >

Bear, Elk, Whitetail Rifle????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bear, Elk, Whitetail Rifle????

Old 10-12-2004, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bear, Elk, Whitetail Rifle????

I'm in the process of trying to decide on what caliber to buy for a big game rifle. I have asperations of using it on elk and bear mainly, but possibly on whitetails as well. I've always prefered a short action. I like the options available for a 30-06, but I'm liking the 7mm Rem mag too. Since I'm more interested in a short action, I've thought about the 7 & 300 WSM as well as the 308 and 7mm-08. I think the 7mm-08 is a little light for elk though. I've also considered the 280 rem. I have no idea why I've always liked the short actions better. Any educated guidance on this would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 10-12-2004, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bear, Elk, Whitetail Rifle????

i don't own one but if i was buying one gun for the animals you mentioned i'd go with the 300wsm, i don't have any 30. cal guns but i would think that the bullet chocies would be the best factor to consider on this, all but one of my rifles/and an encore pistol are 7mm, from 7mm-08-7mmSTW, the other two guns are 260 rem, but if i were doing it again, and could only buy one gun, i would have to go with the 300wsm in my opinion that should be a go anywhwere gun, yes the other cal. are probably sufficiant but its always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps i like the short actions also, for the past three years i have hunted with my wifes 260 rem in a rem model 7 s/s great little carry gun but all i'm hunting is whitetals
Old 10-12-2004, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Jason,
You can't go wrong with the good ol' 30-06,it is up to the task and a good all around gun.

You like the short action and for this I would also recomened the 300 WSM,I have owned two of them and they shoot great and are a dream to carry.I shot 1 bull elk,1 mule deer buck,1 whitetail doe,1 antelope buck,2 antelope does and 2 grouse last year with mine and the only animal that required a 2nd shot was the elk(First would have done it but he was still running).All the animals thet were shot had complet pass through and major damage to vitals.I shot them all with winchester 180gr Power Point round.
Good luck choosing a gun.
BBJ
Old 10-12-2004, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm really liking the sounds of those WSM rounds and I don't currently have a 30 cal in the cabinet. I've got about 6 months to decide, but I like to start the reasearch early.

My main deer rifle is a Browning Micro Medallion in 257 Roberts. I love the rifle na dwon't trade it for the world, but it's just not anywhere near enough for elk. I would possibly take it out for black bear here in PA shooting Nosler Partion 120gr, but I have a little 760 in 35 rem that does the job a whole lot better. The wife usually uses the 257 these days though and that leaves me with no back up or 'big gun" so that's the whole jist of why I'm looking for what I want!

I'm open to any caliber choices, but it has to be adequate for the above mentioned game. Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since you want a SA and may want a 30 cal to round out your selection, I too would suggest the 300wsm. It should handle your requirements and then some nicely.

Good Luck.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:41 PM

Throwing bear into the mix without saying what type of bear throws a wrench into the mix.

I have 2 classes of guns: whitetail size and elk/moose/brown bear size. Since this will be primarily a bear/elk gun I'd choose a .338 Ultra Mag. I know it's not short action but what the heck. For whitetails the .338 is overkill but if limited to one gun for all species this would be my choice. I use a .270, 30-06 or 7MM on whitetails.

My father uses his .375 on everything now since his trip to Africa 20 years ago. Sure knocks the whitetails down quick!
Old 10-12-2004, 04:08 PM

I like the 300wsm-

The others would work also for you, I would see if you can get the new gun in the same rifle as you currently have. It would certainly fit you well if you like your current deer rifle. Or just have one fit up to the same specs so that it "feels" the same. it certainly won't "feel" the same when you light it up though [&:]

Good luck
Old 10-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with the previous posts, the 300 WSM is quite a good caliber but my personal choice will be the 7MM Rem. Mag.

I hunted several whitetails and mule deers with it and never let me down, I also hunted black bear a few years ago....one shot one kill.

I never tried the 7MM WSM but I know some guys who did, and they are as happy as they can be with it.

Good luck with your new rifle!
Old 10-12-2004, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since your heart is set on a short action go for the .300 WSM. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys! I've like the sounds of those WSM cartridges since they came out. I've really put a lot of thought into it and just want a solid performer. It won't take much to sway me to a 300 WSM as I've been thinking about one for some time. I can get it in a Micro Hunter as well which is a plus. I'm not a child at all, but that little rifle fits my stocky frame and short arms very nicely. Maybe that's why I like the SA's so much, just plain easier for me to use quickly and comfortably.

Quick Reply: Bear, Elk, Whitetail Rifle????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.