Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.270?????

Old 10-11-2004, 05:44 PM

Default .270?????

I am fifteen years old and had my birthday on the fourth of october and was thinking about getting a .270. I was just wondering if it was a good gun for me to hunt deer or bear.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .270?????

I assume you are talking about the 270 Win and not the 270 WSM or the 270 Weatherby? The 270 Win is one of the best deer cartridges ever, hands down. If you are talking black bear then it is capable of dealing with them as well as long as you use good bullets and can do your part.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:56 PM

the 270 is a great deer gun and it has taken it's share of bears. with deer i like the 130 grain shells. for bear i would like the 140 gr barnes x bullet

what ever gun you use when hunting bear make sure you use premium bullets.

jack o conner killed all kinds of north american game aniamls while useing the 270
Old 10-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Its a fine all around big game cartridge. As already said, O'Connor killed every species of big game in North America and most of the African plains game with the 270 Winchester. While lighter than most would pick for Grizzly bears, Jack did it quite a few times. He used the 130 grain for most everything and it will do a good job on all but the Heaviest Boned critters. There the 150 or heavier bullet may be a better choice. On a steady diet of Game bigger than elk or Black bears, I would choose the 30-06 but for everything else the 270 is about perfect. You also may want to consider the 280 if you plan to get into reloading which would be a very good idea. Its fun and you will get more out of the sport of hunting if you reload. My OPinion.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:22 PM

Happy birthday! Your choice of caliber is a fine one. I've never met anyone who owns a .270 that doesn't absolutely love it. Even if (excuse me, WHEN) you decide to add rifles in other calibers to your collection over the years you will seldom have need to reach for any other caliber when hunting deer or black bear. This is one of those calibers where you can find ammo nearly anywhere, and with proper bullets and proper bullet placement, you're good to go for most of the critters that North America has to offer.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:26 PM

i was looking at possible a teka or tika i forget how to spell it, a remington model 710, and a savage. Also there was a winchester. The thing i like about the remington thought was it didnt cost as much as the tika but it still had the detachable magazine.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:36 PM

Luv2Hunt Happy Birthday BTW. I am 17 and let me tell you DONT get a Remington 710. My dad bought me a Browning Abolt Medallion in a .270 Win. and i LOVE it. If you cant afford soemthing in that price range i would say Tikka T3 but ANYTHING BUT THE 710. btw , did i say .270 rocks?

It is plenty for deer and bear. Dont let anyone tell you its not.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the 270 would be a great choice. I have killed whitetail, mule deer, black bear & elk with my 270-winchester in the past. My gun of choice for all of my hunting except elk is my 270.
I use my 300-win mag on elk.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:25 PM

As a sour old grump who will turn 47 in a couple of weeks, let me try to dissuade you from two things - - Remington 710s and detachable magazines.

The 710 is an interesting gun, and Remington is to be commended for trying to make a new hunting rifle that is affordable, but good grief, there are places to use plastic and places to use steel, and in my opinion the WRONG place to use plastic is in the action of a hunting rifle. I don't care for them after looking closely. The actions on the ones I've seen are NOT at all smooth, and I have no reason to believe that a rifle with plastic in the action will be as usable after many years as a 100 year old Mauser rifle is today. I've heard that they are accurate though, as I would expect from Remington. My 700 BDL is very accurate. The other choices you've listed are all very good ones.

You might also consider a used rifle in good condition if money is an issue, just be careful to look it over carefully. If it looks well taken care of, chances are it was; if it looks thrashed it probably is.

As for detachable magazines, I myself hate them. Things that detach are things you can lose. It is downright irritating to misplace your detachable magazine before hunting season. They are also more easy to damage than a fixed internal box magazine. Yes, it is a convenient way to unload your rifle in a hurry, but I don't think they're a good idea. I got sour and grumpy not from being old, but from losing things over the years.[:@]

When I buy my 12 year old son his first hunting rifle someday it will probably be a either a Remington 700, a Winchester Model 70 or a CZ550. I've got one each of these and all are great rifles that shoot very well. My Ruger M77MkII is a nice rifle too, but doesn't shoot at all well, which may not be typical of all Rugers, but rules out me ever handing down mine to him. He really likes my Remington...[:-]

Let us know what you finally end up with, and start saving your lunch money TODAY for a good quality scope. Get a cheap scope now if you must, but trust me, good optics are well worth the money. Once you've looked through a good quality scope you will see what I mean.

Enjoy!

ORIGINAL: Luv2Hunt09

i was looking at possible a teka or tika i forget how to spell it, a remington model 710, and a savage. Also there was a winchester. The thing i like about the remington thought was it didnt cost as much as the tika but it still had the detachable magazine.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:11 PM

jmfa1957 , Thats why i like the Abolts system. It has a floorplate that swings down bringing the box magazine out and easy to load and reload. But if you want you can take it off the swinging floorplate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.