Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help me decide on a new 270 >

Help me decide on a new 270

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me decide on a new 270

Old 10-06-2004, 11:21 AM

Default Help me decide on a new 270

Well...looks like I'm in the market for a new 270. I've narrowed my choices down to a Model 70 Classic Featherweight or a Browning Abolt in Stainless Stalker or Composite Stalker.

I'm somewhat partial to Model 70's since I've owned several but I've always heard nothing but positive things about the Abolts. I've always wanted a "classic featherweight"
and I can't think of a better caliber than the classic 270. But..I worry if it will be very practical for me b/c I'm not real fond of hunting with wooden stocked rifles (especially pretty ones). I'm pretty good at tearing things up. I own one other but prefer the composite stocks b/c of the practicality. The feathereweight is a beauty and I'm not sure I would want it for an everday hunting rifle. Every time I ding it up I'll be upset!

Feedback from some of you guys that hunt with these wooden beauties???

Plain and simple...I want the most practical, accurate out of the box rifle that won't require gunsmithing to obtain accuracy.

Which one?
Old 10-06-2004, 02:41 PM

Default RE: Help me decide on a new 270

I just bought a new .270 last year. I got a Browning Abolt Medallion. I bought a box of Federals loaded with barnes x bulelts , topped the gun with a Leupold VX-I 3-9x40 and went to the range shooting inch groups easy.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know what you mean about dinging up pretty ood stocks. I am amoung the worlds best dingers of pretty wood. Therefore I buy nothing but synthetic stocks now. When I buy a Remington classic which I sometimes do, I order the 90.00 Ramline stocks and change them out before the gun leaves my house. The wood stock goes in the bow that the Ramline came in and gets saved in case I want to sell or trade the gun at a later date. If I were buying a new 270 and was to pick one of the ones you listed, it would be the Browning. This because and only because I am familar with them and have never owned a featherwieght Winchester. My Synthetic A-Bolt Stalker in 308 is a good shooting gun. he trigger is rather heavy though but its adjustable. I have been told however thats its best to have a gunsmith adjust it at least the first time.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the Winchester. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:43 AM

Winchester
Old 10-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know if they are still available but at the last gun show I attended I saw a table with several Synthetic/stainless Winchester Featherweights. The synthetic stock looks just like the wood except it is black of course. I think the Featherweight with blue steel & wood stock is one of the better looking guns on the market.

I have owned an A-Bolt is 270. I should have never sold the gun. It would consistently shoot under an inch with 130 gr. Core-Lokts. It will shoot 3/4" with the newer Winchester 130 gr. Ballistic Silver tips. I know this because I sold the gun to my best friend.

My dad had an old 270 Featherweight with the push feed post 64 action. His gun was also a good and accurate rifle.

If it were me I would probably buy the composite stalker. I like you don't like to ding up a wood stock. It really makes me sick. I have changed my wood stocked rifles over to McMillan fiberglass for that very reason.

As far as function and reliability I think both are good choices and will give a lifetime of good service as long as you take care of them.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:31 PM

I'd be inclined to go with the Winchester Featherweight. It's got to be one of the best looking rifles on the market. But then, I don't ding up my rifles too much either. What dings/scratches are on the stocks, I just figure them as "character" marks .
Could always buy an aftermarket fiberglass stock to put on her for hunting.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

My pick would be the Model 70 Classic Featherweight. I might buy one on friday? IF I can find one at a good price?
Old 10-07-2004, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

Just bought a Winchester model 70 classic featherweight in 7mm08 todayHaving the trigger lightened up a bit(2 1/2 lbs) and can't wait to shoot it.Now I need to decide which scope to mount.I have a Leupold VXII 3x9 40mm with a nice target dot,and I have a Leupold VXII 4x12 AO 40mm.Any input as to which would be better.I am leaning towards the 3x9.At any rate it is a beatiful rifle.Also I paid $619 for it at Gander Mountain
Old 10-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Being a southpaw, and an old one at that, I never had much use for Winchester. Not that they weren't good rifles, just that they didn't make a LH model until only a few years ago.
I cut my teeth on Rem 700s and Savage LH bolt actions. I am becoming more partial to Brownings. I like their looks, the way they shoot and the 60 degree bolt throw. I also like the tang mounted safety. I could never get used to the Win 3 position safety. Nor Rugers.
If I were to buy a rifle today I would seriously look into the Savage line. My friend just got an '06 with a synthetic stock and the Accutrigger. That rifle can shoot.
Of the choices you decided on I would go with Browning.

Quick Reply: Help me decide on a new 270

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.