Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 1st Caliber opinion: .243 Win. >

1st Caliber opinion: .243 Win.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

1st Caliber opinion: .243 Win.

Old 10-04-2004, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 1st Caliber opinion: .243 Win.

I agree with James B. The 243 in my opinion is more of an experts caliber than a beginners. I say this because there is no margin of error for this caliber on a deer. You must also use a well constructed bullet. I have used the 243 on deer & feral hogs in the past. I have always used 100 gr. Nosler partitions when using the 243. I will agree with James B and say that in my opinion 25 caliber is where deer calibers start and some 25's must be eliminated like the 25-20 and other anemic calibers that still exist. If I were buying a novice a new deer rifle it would be chambered in 25 WSSM, 25-06, 260, or 7MM-08. As for varmint rifles I find the 243 more caliber than needed and prefer the 223 & 22-250. The 243 is useful in very long distance shooting if you aren't firing 200 rounds per day. The kick of the 243 becomes quite noticeable after 70-80 rounds. This is just my opinion.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:54 PM

My .243 has worked out perfectly for my area. I hunt in Central Texas. Those well versed on the biology of the deer in the hill country know fully well that these things are like dogs with long legs. There's alot of 'em, but it doesn't take alot. .223 has been used to take deer many times. Is this reckless? Not exactly. Given that the deer are much smaller than the deer of upstate New York, South Texas, and the Midwest, this caliber is fine. I tend to go with the 100gr. bullet over the 55 gr. However, the key to this caliber anywhere is shot placement. Of course, is that any different than anywhere else? I wouldn't say that .243 is an experts round, not is it the default for beginners. Its a great all around round given the area. Its really great for Central Texas, given the deer size, and the fact that turkey may also be taken during deer season, and a little bullet is much prefered. I haven't shot every deer with my .243 perfectly, and the imperfect shots did go down, or not travel far ( < 75 yds.) I'd say, if you're getting a .243 for the fact that it has a baby kick and the rounds are cheaper, take ADVANTAGE of that, and shoot at the range a lot. There is a smaller margin of error with this round, but in all I have been very pleased with how it's worked for me.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

great little round has taken many the deer and moose in my fathers hands.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:15 PM

Well you all know that wishunt really stands for "Winchester 243 fanatic."

I've never expressed that it is an awsome cal. for anything but varmints to deer. I've never had a problem with mine in over 20 years of hunting and my dad never had a problem in his 20 years of hunting prior to that. We don't get 300lb monsters in WI but we do have our share of heavy bucks.

I wouldn't use it for Mulies, Bear or other big game.

Can't wait to get out there and shoot it this fall.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Execelent caliber with the right bullet and shot placement...
Old 10-06-2004, 07:57 AM

Sorry guys. When I started this string of posts, I had no intention of saying anything. Rather, I just wanted to sit back and listen to what you all had to say. Well, I have to step in and open my yap. I will not agree with the "Experts Caliber" notion. By saying this, your saying that if your 6mm bullet goes astray, your going to wound that deer. I'm sorry, but if you shoot a deer broadside in his ass-end with a .600 Nitro Express, your not doing him any favours. The thing about a light recoiling round like the .243 is you WILL shoot it well, comparativly speaking. Now that that's been said, carry on.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:53 PM

I used a .243 for along time on deer in central texas. Our deer are a bit bigger since we feed Protein year around. I have used .223 , 22-250 to kill deer here but i like to have more.

I killed my biggest deer with a .243 95 Gr. Winchester soft points . I did have to put 2 in him.
I LOVE the .243 for the hogs here. Put it right behind the ear and they dont move.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:32 PM

I took my last deer, a doe, with my .243. It was a head shot at about 75 yards. She was about average for a California deer, small, around 120 lbs live weight. I do wonder what might have happened if I hit her in the heart/lung area. Naturally she dropped like a stone with a 'twixt the eyes shot.

The previous year I shot a doe in the heart lungs with my .30-06, 165 grain handloads. The bullet exited after causing massive and fatal trauma. The range was also under 100 yards. She dropped right away, but then struggled. She'd have died in a minute or two, but for her it would have been a long minute, so I gave her a coup de grace.

I wonder if, on a small deer such as we have in California, that a smaller, lighter bullet that doesn't exit the heart/lung area might have been better. I haven't shot enough deer to have my own opinion on this, but I think the next time I go on a doe hunt I may use the .243 again.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:51 PM

The 243 is great first rifle for deer/antelope/varmits. w/ todays new premium bullets its ever more effective. The 6mm rem is a better cartride though.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

i had a 243 and was pleased with it's performance. I did trade it off though because my father offered to give me his spare gun a Remington Model 7 6mm rem. Just a little bigger than the 243. I am going to be trying it for the first time on deer this fall. I loaded up for 95gr Nosler Ballistic tips and get awesome groups with them. Can't wait to see how they work on a deer!

Quick Reply: 1st Caliber opinion: .243 Win.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.