Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger M77 Accuracy...Still an issue? >

Ruger M77 Accuracy...Still an issue?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger M77 Accuracy...Still an issue?

Old 09-22-2004, 07:31 PM

Default Ruger M77 Accuracy...Still an issue?

I know i read that the the ruger m77 mk II are either a hit or a miss in the accuracy dept. Did they get this taken care of. I hear ruger sub contraced there barrels to wilson combat and thats why the accuracy was so poor. Does wilson still make them or did ruger start making there own again? I think the Ruger M77 MK II standard with the wood stock and stianless bolt and bolt handle are really beautiful. Only i want a gun that will shoot decent groups. I also like the deal with the scope rings! Thanks!
Old 09-22-2004, 08:23 PM

Default RE: Ruger M77 Accuracy...Still an issue?

I bought a new Ruger M77 Last month in 7MM Rem. Mag. I have shot under 1" groups with this rifle. It did prefer Remington ammo over the cheap Federal stuff though. The attached pic shows the Rem. ammo on the top. I saw the first 2 holes through the scope, got excited, and pulled the 3rd one. I loaded another one up, and sent it downrange. It landed nicely with the first 2. I had the target upside down and the Federal ammo is the bottom shots. It didn't do nearly as well for me.

Old 09-22-2004, 08:26 PM

There are three 77 mk 11's in my family - all in 300 win mag. They all shoot 1 1/2 to 3 in. groups depending on ammo. I don't know where the barrels are made or care. I talked to a fellow the other day at the range with a Sako 75 Hunter .270 win, says he's being trying for 2 years and hasn't been able find a load that will group less than 2 1/2 in. He also has a Win. M. 70 (forgot what he said the calibre is) that will consistently shoot 1 in. with the right load. So there you go. Buy that Ruger. You won't be sorry. gg.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have three Ruger 77 MK II's and all of them will shoot well.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own five Ruger model 77 Mark II . 223 rem ,243 win, 25-06 , 6MM and 300 win . They all will shoot MOA so I must have gotten awful Lucky . I have owned a half dozen more and have never had one with a problem that wasn't something minor .
Old 09-23-2004, 02:52 AM
Fork Horn

I have a 77 MkII in 35 whelen. I had a few problems with it at first but after a trip to ruger they were all ironed out and it has been a very dependable and accurate rifle ever since. Even my first problems weren't accuracy related. Rugers are usually easily brought to decent accuracy. My whelen will shoot sub inch groups with a favorite load with 250gr Hornady RN. Ruger makes a fine rifle for a reasonable price. A few things that you might want to invest in if you got a 77 mkII are a timney trigger and a brownells glass bed kit. Those two things right there will go a long way to improving potential accuracy problems.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Best guess is I have owned 1 dozen 77's some tang safety and some MK IIs. All have been very accurate rifles with minimum diddling. New MkII's are built entirely in the Ruger Plant. Barrels are produced on a hammer forge. They had a special I believe it was on the Discovery Channel and they went thru the plant this was recently on TV. Barrels I saw coming out of the Hammer forge looked very nice and the place was as clean as a surgical unit.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger M-77 accuracy shouldn't be an issue.I have more then my share of them. Some are still unfired.The ones I have shot are all good shooters. My 7mmRM didn't like Federal Premium Ballistic Tips (130gr). I believe they were 130's.I was getting about a 3"group I was disappointed with. I tried the Rem CoreLokts 150 gr. My group shrunk to 1"-1.5". I know with a worked up load it would do much better.My understanding Ruger did sub barrels out.They weren't happy with them so they are now being made at the Ruger facility.I wouldn't hesitate buying any M-77 worrying about accuracy.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 09-23-2004, 11:05 AM

I have a 77 in stainless in .270 and it shoots under an inch with ballistic tips in 130 grains.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Between my two best friends and myself, we own 9 Ruger 77's, 22 mag, (2) 25-06's, 270, (2) 7mags, 300 win, 338 win, and a 77/50 inline. All of which shoot .75"-1.25" with handloads, (no handloading the 22 mag) one of the biggests keys....All have timney triggers installed, takes a 5+ lb pull down to 2 3/4 lb. My recommendation is to pay a smith to properly install one on a 77, (alot of milling on the safety).

Quick Reply: Ruger M77 Accuracy...Still an issue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.