Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Bore Brushes >

Bore Brushes

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bore Brushes

Old 09-20-2004, 08:07 PM

Default Bore Brushes

Does Anyone Know if your average joe bore brush is hard on the Barrel? I've heard mixed stories and roomers
If anyone has any info it would be appreciated!!
Old 09-20-2004, 08:25 PM

Default RE: Bore Brushes

Bronze brushes are softer than your steel barrel so you are ok if you clean from the breech and don't overdo it. Nylon is actually somewhat abrasive, but is useful when using copper removal solvents that would attack a bronze brush. Stainless brushes are a BAD idea IMO.

It's easier to ruin your bore with overcleaning than it is to wear it out shooting. If you have a semiauto or lever gun that you can't clean from the rear, use one of the conical bore guides so as not to nick your crown.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:36 PM

I agree with jmfa1957 s post . To add a bit, I have found the Otis brushes to be fuller than other brushes and they're 15 thosandths oversized for a more agressive cleaning. They have a brass core so not to damage your barrel.

I would also say that the Otis pull through system is a better alternative for cleaning you semi s and lever action guns.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just make sure they are bronze bristled and bronze cored. Holland Gunsmithing sells some very aggressive bronze brushes . I usually pick mine up from Sinclair Int'l or Brownells and have a good quality brush on hand.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

none of you heard of a bore snake?? thats what i use two passes im done if im gonna put the gun away and not use it for awhile then i take my cleaning rod and make one pass with a oil soaked patch and then one pass with a dry patch and call it good.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

How well does a bore snake work on copper?
Old 09-21-2004, 08:01 AM

How well does a bore snake work on copper?
It doesn't. It is great for powder fouling but not for copper removal.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

It doesn't. It is great for powder fouling but not for copper removal

No it doesn't do a thing for copper but they keep advertising it as great product. Its only an emergency cleaner in my book, bring it on a hunting trip if you have junk down the barrel and that is it. But for that matter Otis tool may be better.

Wonder why no one has mentioned Wipeout Foam yet?
Old 09-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Prarie_Boy1
Does Anyone Know if your average joe bore brush is hard on the Barrel? I've heard mixed stories and roomers
If anyone has any info it would be appreciated!!
A CLEAN phosphor-bronze bristle brush won't harm steel. But if it picks up grit or dirt, it can abrade the bore. Harry Pope used to say that more bores were ruined with a cleaning rod than any other way. So it pays to be careful when cleaning, and don't overdo it!
Old 09-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

none of you heard of a bore snake?? thats what i use two passes im done if im gonna put the gun away and not use it for awhile then i take my cleaning rod and make one pass with a oil soaked patch and then one pass with a dry patch and call it good.

This is good - in AZ!! In a humid climate, I find Birchwood-Casey Sheath does a superb job of preventing rust -even in coastal Alaska, where it rains all the time, and the air is always full of salt spray!!

Quick Reply: Bore Brushes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.