Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 almost done with my first custom >

almost done with my first custom

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

almost done with my first custom

Old 09-16-2004, 09:47 PM

Default almost done with my first custom

Im just almost done with my mauser based .243. All it lacks is putting a finish on the metal and urethane on the stock. So I thought Id post a pic. Im using a parker hale 24" 243 bull barrel, Richards Microfit dual grip thumbhole stock in the camo laminate, Sims grind to fit butt pad and a Bold trigger. I hope to take it to the range this weekend. And should have the finishes on next week. Its a little rough looking right now but I wanted to post a picture anyway

Old 09-16-2004, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: almost done with my first custom

nice rifle! i like it......i like it alot.......couldnt have picked a better action either!! are you doing the work or a smith?? looks good to me.........i like that wood too! nice rifle you got there....let us know how it shoots!
Old 09-17-2004, 07:15 AM

jason.....First off, great looking rifle you have there. I have a couple of questions for you. Did you use an old Mauser for your action? How much work did you have to do to get the stock to fit well? How much to do you have into your project? I'm curious because I've been thinking about doing a very similar project. I want a Richard's stock, Mauser action, but in .257 roberts or 6.55x55.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:33 PM

thanks for the compliments. Ive done all the work except for headspacing. Of course I had some help from a buddy of mine as I had alot of questions needed some guidance.

It started out as a czech VZ24 which I stripped down to the action. The stock was "99%" inletted, but I had to do a little dremel work especially in the chamber and barrel channel area to make it work.
I only have about $300 in it, I got lucky on the barrel, a one of the guys on my website has built a few and he sold me the barrel for $40. I think Im getting out pretty cheap, Im looking forward to more!
Old 09-18-2004, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking rifle Jason!!! I too have a VZ24 Mauser that will be turned into a custom job soon. I am picking up an as issued Yugo 24/47 that will replace the VZ24 as a "truck gun" and the VZ24 action will see a new Shileen Barrel (in .257 Roberts), Timney Trigger, Probably also a Microfit gunstock, and a new safety in the Winchester Model 70 configuration. The rifle will also have a couple of other little things added such as most likely a new floorplate, and will also have to be drilled and tapped for scope mounts and will be topped with a Leupold VX-11 3-9 x 40 with Leupold Bases and Millet rings. I can't wait to get this one started!! BTW, a smith will be doing all of the work for me, except for maybe the stock.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:57 PM

I havent even finished this one but Im still already plannign on the next couple!! I want to get a turk and leave the 8mm barrel on it, but go to a mannlicher style stock. I have pondered even goin with 8mm-06 but I cant really find a reason why lol. I also have been thinking about maybe a 257 roberts myself...so many possiblities lol

actually Im still not totally positive I wont change this gun to a 6mm-06.....Im addicited after only one custom!!!
Old 09-19-2004, 04:41 PM

took it to the range today for the first time. bore sited it. then fired a few rounds. 4 shot group 1/2 inch. I can deal with that

Old 09-19-2004, 04:48 PM

great looking rifle! what are you going to use it for?

nice groups too!!
Old 09-19-2004, 06:08 PM

its goin to be my #1 deer rifle this year. Basically goin to be my all around rifle until I build another. May build one for hogs after Christmas.