Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Good Rifle w/o killing the bank >

Good Rifle w/o killing the bank

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good Rifle w/o killing the bank

Old 09-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Good Rifle w/o killing the bank

I'm gonna be 18 in December and figure I might as well celebrate by getting a new rifle. Right now all I have is a Remington 710[:'(]
I've been reading this forum a lot, so I was maybe thinking something like a Remington 700 or a Savage maybe? As far as caliber, I'm open for opinions. Right now I have a .30-06. Its good, but I want to try something a little smaller. Maybe a .243 for deer and smaller stuff like coyotes. I'm curious about the .25-06 too. I'm not really partial to any company, so tell me what ya think. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Good Rifle w/o killing the bank

If you want a bolt, I'd go with the Savage .243 with the "accu-trigger". Its alot of bang for the buck!! The .243 is a great dual-purpose rifle and the Savage is well worth what you have to give.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use both the 243 Win and 25-06 and either one works well on deer size game . To get the best price you are going to have to shop around and compare prices . Find a dealer that will order + commission , or accept delivery for a fee and shop the net . works for me .
Old 09-11-2004, 04:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Quality wise, you get more bang for the buck with a Savage, followed closely by Winchesters, For quality AND looks, I choose the Winchesters!
Old 09-11-2004, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would also suggest either the Savage or Winchester. Hard to beat either for price and reliablity.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

As much as I like the Remington 700's I don't like the 710's at all.
You are better off with the Savage or the Weatherby Vangaurd. Both can be purchase at Wal Mart or you local sportshop under 400
Old 09-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Savage is probably the best "budget" rifle on the market. If you want to spend a little more and end up with a rifle that is a little better in the cosmetic department and built for abuse then look at the Ruger 77 Mk II. As far as cartridge goes, I love my 270 Win and 7mm-08 Rem, but if I were buying a deer rifle today I would look at the 260 Rem.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

Have you heard enough about the savages yet... They are probably the best bang for the buck, I don't think you will here one that is recommended any more than them. Also look at the Tikka and CZ, they are great bang for the buck as well.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to second the vote for the Ruger M77 MK II. My next purchase will be an M77 MK II in 7mm-08.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:04 PM

When price is an issue (and isn't it always?) I recommend that people check out the used gun market, too. Sometimes you can find some great deals. Savages have a great reputation among their owners, but their resale value isn't high; I've seen like-new rifles, scoped, for under $250. (Unfortunately for me, they've been right-handed models, and I'm left-handed.)

I got a killer deal on a used Remington 742 carbine, including a Leupold VX-II scope, sling, and hard case--for less than the retail price of the scope and case alone.

As it gets closer to opening day the deals get scarcer, but they're out there...

You might also try www.gunbroker.com or www.auctionarms.com for online auctions. Some nice values there, too.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Good Rifle w/o killing the bank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.