Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 anyone buy a browning abolt lately? >

anyone buy a browning abolt lately?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

anyone buy a browning abolt lately?

Old 09-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default anyone buy a browning abolt lately?

Has anyone bought & fired a Browning abolt lately? I am looking to add another "longie" to the Biscuit chuckwagon. I am looking for a flatter shooting round than my 45 70. :-) I am considering lots of cartridges right now.... I like barrels at least 24" long and weight is not an issue. I like the lines of the Ruger #1, but not 8 pound triggers.

I like the way my Tikka handles that my son will be getting for xmas, but I have this dislike for plastic after toting an M16 (hoch-tui!) for 26 years so far. I realize plastic works but it is so UUUUUUUGLY!

Do those composite wood stocks ever separate like old plywood?
Old 09-08-2004, 05:42 PM

Default RE: anyone buy a browning abolt lately?

The modern laminated stocks will not come apart and are stronger than is solid wood.
I recently owned a Browning ABolt in 300RUM. I did not like the caliber and I sold the rifle. The ABolt was okay.
For me, the best looking rifle is the Winchester Super Grade. The wood is solid and very pretty on many of those. Get one in 7mmWSM, you won't be sorry.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

I have an A-bolt in 7mm-08 and a variety of Ruger #1's at my disposal...

The A-bolt is extremely nice when it comes to the angle of the bolt, it is 60 degrees the smallest of any bolt rifle on the market. I have to admit this is not a target gun, but more than accurate enough to kill anything. I like the finish on the barrel and the stock I have is pretty nice. I don't like how much the mag plate sticks out from the bottom of the gun.

My father is the biggest #1 fan you will ever see... I think he has over 20 now, his current favorite is his .25-06. The number one has the advantage of being extremely short barreled, because you basically have no action with the falling block. As for the triggers you can get relatively inexpensive drop ins from Natchezs or Brownells... Or pick up an older one, their triggers aren't bad. I personally like the look of the number one and the fact that it is a no nonsense hunting machine. It is kind of a hallmark of a good hunter, we only need ONE shot!

My one problem with composite stocks is they don't have checkering... I find this especially annoying on the forend where I feel I cannot get a good grip. Other than that they are supposed to be better with climate variations than standard wood.

The Tikka is a nice gun, but I think the A-bolt feels smoother in is a little better fit/finish, but is more expensive.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a Browning A-bolt light weight stalker in 308. I love it. The trigger is a bit heavy but it is adjustable and I am going to have a gunsmith adjust it for me. It shoots great it is a little on the light side so even though its just a 308, the recoil gets your attention.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I fall for one of these, I will probably either take my chance with the medium heavy varmint stalker in 25 wssm (that's rolling the dice!) or 1000 eclipse in a 270 wsm. Hate car antennas for barrels.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

I had an A-bolt Medallion. It looked nice and that was the end of what I liked about the rifle. It was hard to load compared with others and when I called Browning with some other questions about the rifle, the jerk on the other end acted like Browning had done me a favor making a rifle for me to buy.
It's long gone and I bought a CZ and am extremely satisfied.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:44 PM

I have a Abolt Medallion in .270 win. i LOVE the gun.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

My .223 is a composite stalker. I have had nothing but good luck with it. The barrel is floated nicely, the grip fits my hands well, and it is accurate with a variety of ammo. I topped it with a Nikon buckmaster 3x9 and it has stayed accurate after a couple of hundred rds. A couple of dozen dead varmints can't be wrong!!!
Old 09-09-2004, 01:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmm the A-bolt I probably would buy an older one but nowadays I cant really push myself to buy a gun that is manufactured in Japan
Old 09-09-2004, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jake, I had a older A-Bolt in 25-06.I have always loved that caliber .I did not like that rifle .It really was not the rifles fault.I am some what of a trigger freak. First thing I do to one is work or install a new trigger.Browning's have a patent on their triggers so you have to get a smith to fix them( A- Bolt II's have the adjustable).Also I did not like the bolt .Nothing wrong I just thought it was ugly as hell.Other than that it shot really well .Probally would have done better if I would have kept it and fixed the trigger.BTW you should be proud to support fine company's like COLT and MATTEL..............LOL I still like the A-1 model cause I never used the newer versions.

Quick Reply: anyone buy a browning abolt lately?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.