Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Compact Scopes >

Compact Scopes

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Compact Scopes

Old 08-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Compact Scopes

I have a Ruger 44 Mag. carbine and I am lloking for a compact scope that is light. Most scopes I looked at are big and heavy. Can anyone recommend one to suite this gun?
Old 08-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Compact Scopes

The one I like best is the Leupold 3 X 9 compact.....it's the lightest scope I could find anywhere and the choice of mine for a light weight rifle.....as I recall it tips the scales at about 8 ounces in total.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at the Leupold VXII 2-7. I thought this was a nice little scope when I looked at it. I’m not sure on the weight but you would have to check it out.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Leupold VX-II in 1-4x20 would be an excellent choice as would the compact Sightron scopes in fixed and variable www.sightron.com.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I might suggest, go to gun shows, and look around, you can find much better deals on scopes there. I bought a BEC 3-9x42mm at a gun show for $40 to put on a carbine, VERY VERY cheap, but it's very sharp images, no fading zero with adjusting the magnification, hasn't fogged up on me yet, although I don't know that it's supposed to be fog proof: I shoot it on an SKS and lever actions .44mag and .45-70...I'm VERY satisfied with it, I've had it for three years now, I was pleasantly surprised with the performance, bought a crappy scope that turned out to be great.

The Leups are great, probably as close to perfect as they come, just really expensive, and it really bothers me that you can't find them with Adjustable objectives most the time....sometimes it gets hard getting them focused if you're at short ranges and high mag. I had a bushnell compact for a couple years, I don't know if they still make one or not, but that one was very nice.

You might look into how you're going to mount your scope before you buy one...I'm not certain but I think the Deerfield is like the ranch rifle, so you can mount it in the "normal" place, but a scout mount is always fun anyway, at which case you'd need a "scout scope" or one with unlimited eye relief.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Nomercy, the gun comes with rings from the factory. I have a Burris FFII 20mm scope on it and would like to go to a 30mm or larger but I don't want to give up length or weight. I have a B&L 3000 on my 7mm and love it, but it is very large 50mm, long, and HEAVY. Not a problem for that gun but I want the opposite for my carbine.

Thanks