Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 02-27-2002, 04:24 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-27-2002, 04:46 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Can I shoot slugs for a smooth bore barrel?

Do a search for slugs. Been discussed many time. Basically yes, and I did it my whole life in a smooth bore with full choke. Shotgun is over 35 years old and still holds good pattern. But if you want to do this all the time, you might as well spend 100 or so dollars get a rifled barrel and great accuracy.

Old 02-27-2002, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, you can shoot "rifled" slugs meant for a smooth-bore through your chokes......in fact rifled slugs do better in an Improved Cylinder or Cylinder bore. Perhaps you have an Improved Cylinder choke..or can get one. Try your Modified choke and/or your Improved Cylinder or Cylinder choke (if you have them). Otherwise, the best accuracy you can get will be from sabots shot through a fully rifled barrel.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

I don't hunt deer with a shotgun but I bought a remington 870 and it came with a rifled choke and other chokes,it was a used gun,I put a scope on it for turkey hunting.the day I was zeroing it for turkeys I got a box of Federal slugs just to try the rifled choke too.I was very surprized at shooting the rifle choke I shot three shells at fifty yards and all three were in the same hole just kept making the hole bigger.
Like I say I don't use it to deer hunt and haven't shot any slugs in it since,but if I ever hunt where shotguns only I will try it again.
I don't know wethet Mossburg has rifled chokes for their guns or not but you may want to try one if they have.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:45 AM

You can shoot slugs through a smooth bore but if you lucky you will maybe get decent groups out to 50yds. For the most distance and best accuracy I would purchase a fully riffled barrel. You should be able to get atleast 2" groups at 100 yards with the sabot copper slugs out on the market. A rifle choke would be the next best way to go.
Old 02-28-2002, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you do shoot them from your smooth barrel, get a cylinder choke, if you don't, your choke will be smaller than the barrel (duh) then the bullet will be shaped to the barrel, and try to squish down to fit your choke, deforming your bullet A LOT!!!, it'll also kick your arm off, you need a choke that won't constrict the slug as it leaves the muzzle, find that one, and you shouldn't have any trouble getting good groups out to 75 yrds at least, my J.C. Higgins will give me 2" at 100 with rifled slugs in a smooth bore, I can't imagine what it'd do if I rifled it!!
Old 02-28-2002, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

yes you can, my first deer came down with a rifled slug out of a smmoth bore. I have a smooth bore 20ga with a mod choke and it shoot slug really bad so try drifferent chokes
Old 03-01-2002, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Use Foster or any of the original Brenneke-type slugs in a smooth bore. It will probably shoot best with a more open choke setting so the slugs are deformed the least as they pass through. A smooth bore can be pretty accurate. Experiment shooting various brands for accuracy. My old-time Ithaca Deerslayer (2.5X scope)will shoot 4" groups at 100 yards all day with Remington 1 oz. Foster-type slugs, but does poorly with other brands.

Larry
Old 03-02-2002, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Remington 870 Express Mag. Smooth bore slug barrel not long barrel is all I shoot for deer besides bow. The only slugs I throw through it are Winchester Super X 2 3/4 inch 1 ouncers. I get consistent patterns within a 6 inch circle at 100 yards everytime I shoot it.
Old 03-02-2002, 02:42 PM

I have a Mosseberg 500, and I use the full choke tube, Tried the other, Mod,Inp,cyc,tubes The full shot the slugs the best, But 3 or 4 Brands of slugs to see which it shoots the best,Also try the different tubes, Mine shoots the winchester ioz slugs the best.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.