Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Is this true? >

Is this true?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is this true?

Old 08-24-2004, 03:14 PM

Default Is this true?

I was reading in one of my hunting magazines the other day and came upon an article talking about ballistics. I am sure I read that they shot a .308 round from a 30.06 rifle. Is this possible? I know they are both 30 calibres but I have never heard of this.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:15 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Is this true?

Nope, you can't do that. You can shoot a .308 bullet from a 30-06.

Old 08-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

BC's right. Not a chance.

I have heard of people accidenlty mixing up 270's and 06's...seeing as they are cousins. Results are usually bad if you get the 270 into the 06 and get it to fire.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can shoot a .308 cartridge in a 30-06, in some guns it might not fire, in guns that it will fire in, you'll fire form the .308 case to something that looks like a 30-06 case cut off mid shoulder.

Its not a good idea to do, and from what I've heard, accuracy is fair to poor when doing this.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Its not a good idea to do, and from what I've heard, accuracy is fair to poor when doing this.
Not to mention that you just could end up with one less hand and/ or a trip to the bathroom to clean out your shorts.[]
Old 08-24-2004, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to mention that you just could end up with one less hand and/ or a trip to the bathroom to clean out your shorts.
How so?

From my understanding of it, firing a .308 cartridge in a 30-06 is fairly safe- I would certainly choose to do this myself long before choosing to shoot someone else's handloads

Experienced handloaders fireform cases of one cartridge in a rifle chambered in another cartridge all of the time. so long as the bullet is of the same or smaller diameter as the bore, and the case is not longer than what the chamber is cut for, ther should be relatively few problems.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:39 PM
DM

Long ago, i saw a guy at the club range where i was a member of, and he was trying to sight in a beautifull custom Steyr 30-06. He was haveing all kinds of problems getting it done. He came and wondered if i could figure out what was wrong. The second i walked to his bench, i saw fire formed 308 win cases laying under his bench!! I pointed them out, and he took off for home to get his 06 ammo!!!!

Over the years i've found fire formed 308 Win. to 06 cases at the range more than once, so it must happen more than a guy would think.

Drilling Man

Old 08-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a pertinent article:
Read it very carefully before chambering the wrong cartridge in a rifle- in some cases its safe, but in others its not- the point where it gets dangerous and people lose fingers or get a bolt permanetly lodged in their forhead is firing shorter cases of a larger caliber in a rifle than what the rifle is chambered for.

There is good reason why the old rule of "only shoot cartridges in a rifle that the rifle is chambered for" exists- but like most rules, there are exceptions- if you know what you are doing.

http://www.reloadbench.com/ganda.html
Old 08-24-2004, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a chamber insert that shortens a 06 chamber to fire 308 ammo .I think Gun Parts sold them . If I remember the directions You drop the insert into the chamber and tap tight with a dowel and then you can fire 308 , it is removed with a 30-06 broken case removal tool . I have never and will never do it . IMO you could mess up a rifle with or without it .

Another case of " Don't try this at home "
Old 08-24-2004, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a chamber insert that shortens a 06 chamber to fire 308 ammo
The US Navy tried a similar device in M1 Garands for match shooting, with mixed results, they just ended up rebarelling the M1's and chambering them in .308

Quick Reply: Is this true?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.