Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 1st hunting rifel, what catridge? >

1st hunting rifel, what catridge?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

1st hunting rifel, what catridge?

Old 08-23-2004, 11:19 PM

Default 1st hunting rifel, what catridge?

I am going to be perchising my 1st hunting rifel, and would like to be able to take anny thing in Texas! I alredy own a 308 and 223, so i ame looking for a dif cartrige to add to the playing field.

in everyones opinon what would your choes be?

to let you know what rifel I have cosen, I am going with an encore.

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-24-2004, 05:03 AM

Default RE: 1st hunting rifel, what catridge?

Give us a few more details;
what kind of range do you want and for what game?
how well can you handle recoil?
Since you have a .308 I guess you are looking for something that the .308 will not do (which may be tough). Are you looking for an all around hunting rifle?

If I was getting the encore I personally would get two barrels that would cover almost all hunting in the US. The first either a 25-06 or .270 Win, both small enough and shoot flat enough to shoot little critters without feeling too bad but both are potent calibers for deer. There is a variety of ammo for both, and the ammo can be found almost anywhere (esp. the .270), I like the 25-06 for the small caliber.

The second barrel either a 30-06 or possibly a 300 WinMag. This will cover the larger game, moose, elk, bear. I can't find much of a reason for the 300 unless you plan on taking the larger game at longer distances. For pure selection and availability of ammo I would choose the 30-06.

With this two barrel combo you could travel the country, hunt every species of game the great US has to offer with an appropriate caliber for every situation.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Frankly friend, you'll have a lot of trouble trying to improve on the .308 winchester for Texas hunting.....you can buy a truck load of rifles and not improve on that one by enough to notice in the field.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

What Vapodog said. But if you just have to have another barrel for the Encore ( and I know how that is ) Check out Virgin Valley Firearms and get them to make you about a 28" 7 MM STW barrel .That oughta do it.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

30-06 good all around gun you can kill about anything on earth with it
Old 08-24-2004, 12:28 PM

I've heard some good things about the .308 and if half of it's true you've got all the gun you need for Texas.

If you just want something larger, I agree with 7mm rem mag. You can hunt anything you want with it.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:29 PM

Thank you all for the replyes!

The 308 that I have is a remington pss sith nightforse scope, it is 15 plus lb. I ges I could take it into the field with me but I mainly use it for comp shoots. I know it is hard to beat the 308!

I have not goten the encor yet because I have not decided on a caliber. Some one asked what kind of game I wished to take,,,,,,,,,,,, Dear, howgs, yotes, you name it and I would like to take it.

Also woild like a cartidge that will at least hold moa at 500 plus yards!

Hope this other info is a bit more helpful.

now for my part. I am going to have to do some more reserch on the 25-06, minny minchind it and I am not to familer with it. Mainly because I have never shot it, nor do I know anny one who has.

Thanks agine for your replyes!
Old 08-25-2004, 07:59 PM

Ok did some home work on the 25-06 and it looked prity promising!

Also did some comparisons with the 7mm-08 and it seamed to be more versital! What is everyons thouts on that?
Old 08-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

With what you have the 25-06 sounds like a winner. It is a great caliber for dual purpose varmit and deer. The very best of the dual purpose IMO.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:50 PM

Well I have some home work to do but I will let everyone know what I do decide to do. Thanks agine for all the help!

Quick Reply: 1st hunting rifel, what catridge?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.