Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7mm Rem Mag.  Out of favor? >

7mm Rem Mag. Out of favor?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm Rem Mag. Out of favor?

Old 08-23-2004, 08:55 AM

Default 7mm Rem Mag. Out of favor?

What are all the 7mm rem mag. shooters going to?
Don't know if others have noticed what I have locally (WV,MD,VA), but ~70% of the nice used rifles I have seen for sale lately have been 7mm mags.
I was never a huge fan and have never owned one. Didn't see enough performance advantage over .270 and 3006 to justify the cost of(ammo, recoil, and weight).
But what are these people switching to? The WSM or less recoil?
Old 08-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 7mm Rem Mag. Out of favor?

In PA, I rarely find many nice, used 7mm mags. I've been looking for one for about 3 months.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think many new ones will be sold from here on..I went to BAsspro yesterday and the most available ammo on their rack was 30-06,270win 300 win 270wsm 300 wsm everything else was in short supply..They pretty much had all Browning,Ruger,Winchester and SAvage WSM's for sale behind the counter
Old 08-23-2004, 01:14 PM

I live in one of the few remaining rifle counties in MD, I just don't see a need for a 7mm Mag in this region. I also hunt northern WV and have used a .270 Win for years, that is more than enough in my opinion. Maybe considering the population growth in this area there are folks moving here from other regions that would justify a 7mm Mag, once they get here and see it is either not allowed or required they trade them in. Just a guess. . . . ?
Old 08-23-2004, 05:30 PM

Like all calibres, it was the one to get way back when. That's why the gun mfg. keep coming out with new products for us to keep buying, and keep them in business.
Polack
Old 08-23-2004, 07:28 PM

I asked the folks at a gun shop what their most popular caliber was (sales) = 270WSM for the last 2 years. However, I saw a chart of most popular calibers (Nationwide) and they were as follows:
1. 30-06
2. 270 Win
3. 300 Win Mag
4. 7mmRem Mag
5. 243 Win

My guess it will take YEARS for the WSM calibers to catch up, and who knows if they even will?
BOTTOM LINE - If you have one of the top 4, you can hunt almost anything on our continent. The once - world record Polar Bear was taken with a 270 win and 150gr Core Lokt.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: USMC PMI

I live in one of the few remaining rifle counties in MD, I just don't see a need for a 7mm Mag in this region
I live in MD also, and I have to admit I LOVE both of my 7mm Rem mags, but I have to agree with USMC, when I enter the woods in late Nov. I am usually carrying my 25-06, around here with most deer being in the 100-150 lb range and shots no more than 100 yards, I find the smaller calibers are more than enough. The reason I switched was 3 years ago I shot a 6 pt at 70 yards with a 140 gr Nosler partiton and it just penciled him, tracked him for 200+ yrds, so I switched to ballistic tips, and found that I was blowing the HE$$ out of deer (i.e losing both shoulders and major trauma almost halfway back throught the rib cage.) My 117 gr Sierra gamekings dont do nearly the damage. BUT, I WILL NOT TRADE MY 7MM'S IN!!! My grandfather used to say "Guns are meant to be bought not sold".......alot of truth in that!!
Old 08-23-2004, 08:17 PM
DM

Didn't see enough performance advantage over .270 and 3006 to justify the cost of(ammo, recoil, and weight).
In most parts of the lower 48 this is true, but what a 7 mag can and "does" do over a 270 Win. is push heavy bullets fairly fast for flat shooting and deep penetration!!! When it comes to bigger animials, the 175 NP out of a 7 mag is hard to beat, especially when your trying to break heavy bones!!!

This is one reason i never liked a 270 win.. I always wanted more penetration than it was giveing on bigger game animials. The 280 Rem, and 7 mag just do this so much better!!

When i was big time into designing and testing bullets, the 7mm Nosler partition would pretty much out penetrate any other expanding bullet of the time!!

I'm "not" into magnums like i use to be, but if i was, a 7 mag would be one of my first choises. I use to hunt with one a lot, and took several animials with one includeing a nice Dall sheep in the Brooks Range of Alaska.

Drilling Man

Old 08-23-2004, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

I love my 7mm and plan on using it for years. I havent seen many for sale around here. If i ever did sell it and buy a new rifle it would probably be a short magnum.

Dave
Old 08-23-2004, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have noticed in our area as well that the gun shops are flooded with used 7mm Remington mags. I think the short mags are taking a toll on all of the long Magnums. People tend to like the effiecency of the short mags over the longer version. I never was a fan of the 7 Mag even though I owned four or five over the years. I prefer the 280 over the 7 Mag as there is very little real difference in the performance yet considerable less blast and recoil with the 280. Blast and recoil that I have no need for.

Quick Reply: 7mm Rem Mag. Out of favor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.