Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
synthetic vs wood >

synthetic vs wood

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

synthetic vs wood

Old 02-27-2002, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default synthetic vs wood

I'm getting ready to purchase my first rifle and was hoping to get some opinions about whether to get a synthetic or wood stock. I'm looking at the Browning A-Bolt (either the Hunter or the Stalker) in 7mm. I like the look of wood a lot, but if there is a compelling reason to go with synthetic I wouldn't be adverse to doing so. I know the synthetic will stand up to more abuse (weather, etc), but is there any performance issues I should be aware of? I was told sythentic helped to reduce recoil, not sure if this is a farse or not.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2002, 09:36 AM

Default RE: synthetic vs wood

Wood stocks are more traditional, they generally look better, and are usually heavier than synthetics, thus they will absorb slightly more recoil. Synthetics are lighter than wood so there easier to carry and they're tougher than wood. It really doesn't matter if you scratch it cause it's not pretty to begin with. The first big scratch on that pretty wood stock realy hurts, a synthetic stock you just hunt, you don't have to be careful about every tree or rock as your walking so that you don't hurt the stock. Sythetic stocks are an inert material that will not absorb moisture so you don't have to worry like a wood stock that can absorb moisture and thus warp slightly and change your point of impact. Go with the synthetic stock it's much more functional and easier to take care of and performs better. Remember a pretty stock never killed anything, rifles are functional so hunt hard. You might also get a stainless rifle, they're easier to take care of than blued steel, especially if you hunt in a wet or humid enviroment.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:05 AM

I agree with Wolf6151, wood stocks look nice but they're like a car, you don't own it until you get the first scratch or dent. If that's a worry buy a stainless with a synthetic stock. They take a beating no matter what the weather.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:17 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-27-2002, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I much prefer wood stocks, but must agree with Wolf6151 that the synthetics are far more stable and suitable for a practical hunting rifle. However, I am old fashioned, and like to see both wood and steel, rather than polymer and plastic!!

Larry
Old 02-27-2002, 11:36 AM
Spike

Call me crazy but wood just seems to feel better in my hands than synthetic.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

fillae welcome to the board, We all agree that Wood stocks are allot nicer to look at. The synthetic and Stainless Steel IMO are better for hard hunting. Weather does not effect the synthetic stock like it does wood.The wood will swell ,absorb moisture. Cold weather will effect it.Synthetic remains the same.Stainless steel needs to be cared for like any other gun. It's more forgiving then a blued rifle.The wood may absorb recoil a little better but theres not that much difference. Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-27-2002, 03:40 PM

Good luck making that decision. No matter which way you go, you'll always wonder if it was the correct choice. However, you really need to ask yourself how well you treat your gun. I hunt with one guy who wipes his gun down and oils it every night, I also hunt with a guy who cleans his gun every couple years. Needless to say, wood works for the one guy, ss/synthetic works for the other!
Old 02-27-2002, 07:11 PM

Yeah, synthetic is definitely the way to go. The way that a stainless steel with a synthetic stocks looks is completely incomparable. In my vast experience I have had many rifles with both wood and synthetic stocks and I tell you now that I don't own a hunting rifle that doesn't have a synthetic on it. They absorb way more recoil than wood, are stonger for the most part, and less apt to get scratched. Also, no warping from weather. Go with Synthetic every time.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Synthetic stocks do have a little give and do tend to transmit less felt recoil to the shooter.

Quick Reply: synthetic vs wood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.