Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 walmart guns >

walmart guns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

walmart guns

Old 08-18-2004, 08:30 AM

Default RE: walmart guns

[/quote]
Some Walmarts have good sporting good staff's some do not...

I dated a Wally World sporting goods clerk. I would loved to have taken her hunting with me...She'd have made a great decoy... FOR MOOSE!
Old 08-18-2004, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

A walmart gun is the same as any other gun of the same make and manufacture that you might buy anywhere else....for the most part. As far as things go, I HAVE PERSONALLY SEEN AND PURCHASED models that are largely ONLY available to Walmart, basically it's a cheaper stock on the gun or something, but the sights/finish/internals are all the same.

The rumor that walmart special orders cheaper guns is false, it's made up by gunshop owners/managers/shopkeeps to get people to spend the extra 25% and buy from them instead of walmart. Walmart basically buys in bulk and is not dependant on making a lot of money on just selling guns, they also offer no customer support, so they can sell their guns cheaper than anyone else, basically the same way they sell everything cheaper than everyone else.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:06 PM

Leupold Rifleman 3-9 x 40 Rifle Scope Wally $199.98

Leupold Rifleman 3-9 x 40 Rifle Scope Cabelas $199.99

You save $.01

Leupold VX™-I Riflescopes Cabelas $199.99

I know that my gun shop will be within $10 of this price or right on the nuts. At least Cabelas employs real sportspeople and has fantastic customer service.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:20 PM

One item...does not equal much of a comparison...considering the volume...WalMart is the LARGEST firearms dealer in the US...no Walmart, no bulk pack ammo...

ORIGINAL: WisHunt

Leupold Rifleman 3-9 x 40 Rifle Scope Wally $199.98

Leupold Rifleman 3-9 x 40 Rifle Scope Cabelas $199.99

You save $.01

Leupold VX™-I Riflescopes Cabelas $199.99

I know that my gun shop will be within $10 of this price or right on the nuts. At least Cabelas employs real sportspeople and has fantastic customer service.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:52 PM

Ammo consumption is not a componant of mass marketing. At the range I will shoot about the same amount of ammo no matter what price I pay for it. As a matter of fact I purchased my sporting ammo for far less at the local gun shop this spring than it would have cost at walmart.

If they did not supply ammo, Specialty shops would still sell ammo to the masses and it would be slightly higher priced. But the owner of 123 Guns pays taxes every year, can support his family, maybe put his kids though school, donates to local events, sponsors local teams, spends time in the comunity, hunts, etc, etc. If a shop owner has $XX of ammo purchased from him more each year I would think that he can supply a much better standard of living for himself and his employees.

Not even the sales reps get paid well when they sell to wally, TRUST ME I've been one.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Wby Mag (new) - $388 Wal Mart

Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag (used) - $429 Local gun/bow Store

The fact that the gun at the gun/bow store is used leads me to believe that they didn’t pay a whole lot more than Wal Mart paid for theirs. The original owner probably bought the gun at Wal Mart for $350 and took a loss when he sold it or traded it in.

I will contribute to the local shop as I will buy my mounts, rings and scope at his place and pay him to put them on.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:50 PM

Again one scope is not a compaison...I know what I pay dealer cast for guns...I know what Walmart sells to the public and at what cost. They sell to the public for what I get many guns for from RSR etc.

The biggest difference...Walmart doesn't sell handguns, Walmart doesn't sell NFA, Walmart doesn't sell the big bad black guns.

Now if price is your issue...Walmart is good because more than likely if all you are shopping for is price...then I proabably don't want you as a customer anyway.

I think walmart is an excellent alternative for people who have a budget or know exactly what they want.

Again Shooting Industry magazine list Walmart as the largets retail gun dealer in the US...so they actually help everyone by driving volumes.

As for cabella's unless you have one by you...good luck getting your gun.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I recently bought a .22 mag rifle at Walmarts for $65. less than the local sporting goods store. The issue that I have is how much is it going to cost me, Idont know how buying from Wlmarts is hurting the econony it is not a Japenese of Chinese company, American workers work there and as long as it saves me money it works, Dont reply with all that b.s. well if everyone bought a gun there and had that attitude everybody else would go broke. They can drop their prices a little and compete, George Bush says its a global economy, I dont agree with that I say buy American and Sam Walton was an American. I also buy a ot of stuff from Cabela's too another American sompany, that's cheaper than my local guys.....and they too are Americans....
Old 08-18-2004, 07:27 PM

Exactly

ORIGINAL: RonM

I recently bought a .22 mag rifle at Walmarts for $65. less than the local sporting goods store. The issue that I have is how much is it going to cost me, Idont know how buying from Wlmarts is hurting the econony it is not a Japenese of Chinese company, American workers work there and as long as it saves me money it works, Dont reply with all that b.s. well if everyone bought a gun there and had that attitude everybody else would go broke. They can drop their prices a little and compete, George Bush says its a global economy, I dont agree with that I say buy American and Sam Walton was an American. I also buy a ot of stuff from Cabela's too another American sompany, that's cheaper than my local guys.....and they too are Americans....
Old 08-18-2004, 08:31 PM

Gotta agree with Sott_II & RonM!!!

Also gotta agree with BarnesX.308. My philosophy is that I'll support a good gunshop if their price is at least competitive with Walmart, but I'll be darned if I'll pay $200 more for a used gun over an identical new model at Walmart just because the expensive one is at a "gunshop"! I see it all the time! Hey I'll gladly get my other components from Midway, Midsouth, or a local gunshop or two to "spread the wealth".

This spring I saved more than $200 when I bought my new Win 70 stainless/ synthetic .375 H&H from Walmart over the half a dozen "gunshops" I priced first and that I would have gladly supported. I did get similiar treatment that Mark C. Kimmel got when I picked my gun up though. They had 2 managers and 2 staff asking questions and triple checking paperwork along with my own personal ****** on the way out. I kind of felt "special"! I'm sure that has a lot to do with having a BIG target on their back by being successful and greedy people only seeing $$$ signs. (Had a great gunshop shut down while I lived in TN due to a lawsuit over paperwork.)

What Pharoah 2 said about the staff at Walmart is true. I'm thinking of 2 local Walmarts. The one in my local town 10 miles from here has a poorly stocked "sporting goods" selection and grouchy staff while 20 miles from here (and on my way to & from work), and in a town of identical size, the Walmart is run by a "gun nut" who has a fabulously stocked and staffed sporting goods selection! Even a bunch of reloading components!

Quick Reply: walmart guns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.