Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shot shells for old shotgun? >

Shot shells for old shotgun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shot shells for old shotgun?

Old 08-12-2004, 04:15 PM

Default Shot shells for old shotgun?

My father has given into my repeated request to go duck hunting with me. The problem is, I promised to shoot his single shot Winchester Model 12. Which he bought new in 1948.
It has a 32 inch barrell with a full choke. Being that old, it only shoots 2 3/4 shells.
Now to my question. What shells can I shoot out of the old gun, without hurting the barrell? I have heard of bismuth. I just want the best round that won't hurt the barrell.
Given what has been said so far. What size of shot should I use?
Thanks.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot shells for old shotgun?

IMO KENT tung. matrix is the best "like lead" substute . It is as soft as lead and can be shot in any nitro proof shot gun. As for loads the 1 1/4 oz of 5 at 1400 fps has killed a number of ducks for me the 1 3/8 oz load of 3 at 1375 will work on geese ,limit the range for giant canadians to 35 yds. or less please . The Winchester model 12 was a pump gun I think.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes the Winchester model 12 is a pump gun not a single shot unless something is wrong with it to make it a single shot. If that is the case I would not use it.

I don't know all that much about all the new pellet materials but I do know that you should not shoot steel out of that gun. They did not have the steel shot requirements in 1948 that we have today and as such the barrels and the fixed choke won't take the abuse that steel dishes out for very long.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine hunts ducks with a old model 12 with a fixed full choke his dad bought way back when, I wouldnt recommend shooting steel through it but he does, He uses winchester drylok shells in shot no larger then #2 for a particular reason reason is larger shot is harder to compress which steel doesnt really compress but with the wad dryloks use allows the wad to compress through the full choke but with shot larger than #2's may not compress enough. I would say keep that gun put up and go to walmart and get ya Maverick 88 shotgun they are made by mossberg and will shoot up to a 3inch mag and shoot steel shot just fine with no problems. The best part is its a pump shotgun for under 200 dollars, the walmart here sells them for $169.99.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Bismuth is about the only other option right now besides the Kent matrix. Federal dropped their Tungsten/poly load which was also safe for older guns. Sounds like there are three more new non-toxic loads ready to come out. I think one of those will be safe for older guns as well.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:36 AM

Sorry. What I meant to say was a 12 gauge model 37. Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if you can buy either Kent or Bismuth in boxes of 25? That stuff is really expensive. Given the fact that I will be shooting Kent or Bismuth in a full choke. Should I shoot #5 and what ounce load do you recommend?
Old 08-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

a winchester model 37??? I'm not familiar with that one could be a Ithaca model 37???
Old 08-14-2004, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

the Ithaca model 37 is a pump also not a single shot.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:27 PM

This gun is a single shot Winchester Model 37. That was purchased new in 1948. I uderstand that they made the model 37 in 20 and also 16 gauge.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

The Winchester Model 37 was indeed a single shot break action--and a darned good one, too.