Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Old 08-18-2004, 09:00 AM

Default RE: .243

Excellent point I agree 100%. Nothing like hearing a 7mmMag open up 3 or 4 times on opening day, we all know that guy missed. Maybe they can chamber a SAW or M240G gun in 7mm and load it with a one to five tracer combat mix so they can trace their misses and adjust fire! I was started on a .243 as well, excellent all around caliber.

I agree with the Savage as well, they are a little ugly, the blueing is not among the best, but darn can they shoot and that is the entire purpose of a rifle last time I checked.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:18 AM

Don't mean to hog the board but I just saw DM's comment pop-up. I do not agree with the statement that "most 6mm bullets will not exit a bigger deer, especially if it's gut shot" . The gut is composed of all soft tissue, the best chance a bullet has to exit is the gut. No bone to hit and even the smaller centerfire .22's (.222, .223, 22-250) have the energy to pass right through upto at least 200 yards anyway. A .223 would amaze you at what it would penetrate, much less a .243 with the proper bullet.

Also, I can not speak for WisHunt but he did say that he missed the deer, not that he could not find them. He seems knowledgable in this field and is most likely a good marksman. I am willing to bet he followed through after the shot and visually confirmed the miss, esp. with a .243 that does not jar your skull loose when fired. There are a few folks that have been able to see their game fall through the scope after the shot, I can using a .270, I can also see dirt fly infront of or behind a deer in full stride.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:47 PM

Thanks USMC,

I would say that I get about 50% exit wounds with my .243 If I hit a rib upon entry I may not get one. or if the angle is a little steep.

I will tell you about all three misses,

#1 I was 14 or 15 the deer was running straight away from me though the oaks, I pulled up got him back and forth in the scope, pulled up ahead and when he ran into the view squezed and nothing. How do I know I didn't hit him? Dad shot him 30 sec later in the next coulee. Dad's an awsome shot!

#2 Same year as #1 and we were doing a drive of a large swamp. A doe got up and crossed about 90 yards out, I was on the left side of the group and pulled off two shots. until she crossed too far to the right for me to shoot safely. Three more drivers took shots and no one hit her, The neighbor was on his tower stand and pounded her as she jumped the fence. 1 hole in her, He was always a good shot on that fenceline.

#3 A nice 8 pointer steped out into my shooting lane and I put one right though the boiler room, He bucked, dropped and another buck squirted out behind him into the field. It was a huge 9 pointer, DAMN I wish I would have waited, but I shot once as he bounded away, I saw a flick of something in my scope and when I looked up the branch just in front of my barrel was shattered by the bullet. It was my brothers stand and he never cut off the small branch directly behind where he sat. My unkle got that buck on Sunday afternoon when we kicked him out of a small weed bed that was barely bigger than the buck!

So there you go,

Now how many running deer have I downed?

at least 15 that I can remember off the top of my head. All running or at least trotting allong. I posted on one major drive that we used to do. My job was to hit as many does as I could and they were usually running or jogging at best. In one season I hit 5 does on one drive. Didn't lose one. every shot between 75 - 125 yards.

Not trying to brag I mean miss #1 was not a good percentage shot. I have spined one buck which was not a "good" shot. But for the most part I was taught that there is only one shot on a deer and that is through the boiler room. I think the most important part is having the right teacher show you how to do it and trusting them. My dad doesn't miss often and he told me how to shoot, not kinda sorta, but "you do it like this" and it works.

Good Luck this fall!

Wis
Old 08-18-2004, 01:04 PM

It is nce to hear that true marksman are still being trained out there. I would like to know where what I call the 7mmMag syndrome came from? It simply does not take that much to kill a deer with a well placed shot. I had the same job as a teen on drives, nail the does, great practice. I hit a very nice 12 pt. West Virginia buck last season in a broadside full trot at 187 yards along a logging road I had presighted. Shot from a shooting box with a rest, dropped him dead on the spot, hit the ground so hard one of his antlers broke off. I used a .270 130 gr BST, the big boy weighed 197 lbs. dressed, a monster for those parts, and it looked like someone hit him in the chest with a tank. Anyone who says it can't be done is wrong, they just have not practiced enough. Good tip, never leave the fur, at that distance I led him about 1/2 his chest legnth. At a full run maybe aim right for the tip of the chest but never leave fur!
Old 08-18-2004, 01:20 PM

USMC, I was told to pull ahead get a steady rest and when the chest hits the cross hairs squeeeezzz.

I remember questioning my dad and he said "The bullet is traveling 3000 ft per sec, do you think the deer will out run it?" I quit questioning him and did what he told me. I figure he has made some mistakes before why should I make them?

I like big guns too, my elk rifle is a tricked out 300win-mag. But I shoot that 1 or 2 times per year. I shoot 1000s of rounds though my .22.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:03 PM

Sounds about right, if you squeez when you see the chest, including your human reaction delay, the bullet will land right in the sweet spot. Same game here, I have the big boys but do not find myself shooting them nearly as often. I have also become a little weary after reading an article about retinal detachment and heavy recoiling rifles, apparently rifles starting around the 300 wby. mag and up can cause retinal detachment with regular firing. Good luck, the season opens here in a few short weeks.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:38 PM

posted by bassman
"IF" the deer were running "full tilt" as you said, and you shot at it and it ran off, then you don't know if you hit it or not!!! You could have hit it, and it ran off and died!!! Just because you didn't find blood or ??? doesn't mean they weren't hit.
say i shoot at a deer with a 270 running full tilt and when i looked saw no blood, hair, etc. dose that mean i can stop looking because it was a 270 rather then a 243???

i started out shooting deer with a 35 rem. because i thought that the 243 was to little. after getting a spike and a doe i had 1 doe tag left so i decided to take the 243 out the last night. i shot a doe trotting and droped her just as good as the 35. sence then i used a 270 and the 243. however i would say 95% of the time i have the 243. i have no prob. with my shots not exiting but most are under 70 yards or so
Old 08-21-2004, 02:40 PM

I think most are good guns, get the one you like the feel of, its a personal thing. The 243 IS enough gun for deer and antalope. My dad anchored a Moose with a 6mm, dropped it in its tracks! The bullet went through BOTH shoulders and exited. Not many hunters can shoot as quickly w/ accuracy as my father can w/ that gun so follow up shots were never in question if needed. I have to mention we use premium bullets(regardless of cost) and handload. I wouldn't choose a 6mm for moose, but it can do the job. Also there are alot of custom varmit guns out there that some guy put $1000 into, that wont shoot 5 shot groups that touch each other, so the sell em off, often shooting sub 1" groups.