Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New gun

Old 07-25-2004, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default New gun

I just bought a Ruger M77 Mk2 25-.06 w/ laminated stock, tapered bull barrell, and satin stainless finish for $450.00.

Sounded like a good deal to me, but I don't know much about the caliber or what type of scope I should put on it. It shoots great, but is severly lacking in the optics. It has a Tasco World class 3x9 but I'd like to get some suggestions on a scope. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New gun

I own the exact gun that you have, except mine is blue/walnut, It is a great gun, very versatile, I use mine for groundhogs in the spring and whitetails in the fall. Before I got into reloading, I shot 115 gr winchester ballistic tips for whitetail, or 117 gr Sierra gamekings, both grouped very well. I only had problems with 100 gr remington cor lokts, they gave me alot of flingers, and would not group for me. I personally have a Simmons Aetec 3-12 power scope on mine, I like the higher power scope on it, especially for ground hogs the only problem was, that scope is a 44mm objective, so I had to change rings, if you go with a 40 mm scope you should be able to use the rings that came with the gun. Its really a personal preference for scopes, but if you see yourself possibly taking 250-300 yard shots with it, (which it is very capable of doing) I would try to get a higher power scope. If you reload and would like my data I have gathered shoot me an email and Ill share what i got.

hope this helps!!!!!
Old 07-26-2004, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 25-06 is a great caliber. It's deadly on everything from groundhogs to deer.

You may have to mess around with some different ammo to get the best for your gun...but there's plenty of factory 25-06 if you don't reload.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the older ruger varmit with the Med-weight barrel with tang saftey it wears a 3-9x40 Redfeild Classic.I also have a Ruger No.1-B that has a 2.5-10x40 Simmons.I use my 25-06's for coyotes and deer and antelope.
I think anything 3x9 or large should work good,maybe a 4-16 or something like that if you plan on shooting ground hogs.