Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
gloss on leupold scope >

gloss on leupold scope

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gloss on leupold scope

Old 02-25-2002, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default gloss on leupold scope

I like the leupold var x II price but dont like the gloss. Ive noticed that the matte finish is 40 dollars more. At 199.99 the gloss is a great price but I probley will get a burris or bushnell elite at that price in matte finish. I cant understand why lupold charges that much more for matte.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: gloss on leupold scope

You make a valid point here. I too prefer the matte...Should not be that much difference in price.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:58 AM

i don't know why the gloss would be that much less than the matte. i think they are discontinuing the vari-xII line and maybe the hot sellers are the mattes so they reduced the price on the gloss. i personally
would not be afraid to go with the gloss leupold if that was all i could afford.i have a varixII in gloss finish on my .270 and i never remember any deer saying it glared too much. then again they never said anything, they just went down.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:54 PM

They came out with a vx 1 and vx 2 line. they are pretty much the same scopes . just renamed them. all the vx1's are gloss. i believe they are making a vx1 3x9 x40 for cost around 160 to 180. i personnaly would spend a little extra and get a vx2 3x9 x50 . i have one and like it . it is a vari x 2 but same thing. leupold is trying to retain there good name. other scope companys are selling quality products now at a lower cost and we the consumer know it.i mean look at the price on a elite 3200 , good quality from what i am hearing. im going to try one.

and i also like matte on my scopes.gloss is always cheaper. oh yeah if you find a real cheap used one . i know of a place called spradlins that refinishes scopes. that is almost un heard of. i may try it at see how well it comes out.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:18 PM
bigcountry

A deer told me my glared too much, so I shot him. If any more of those deer come up to tell me my scope glares too much , they will get the same.

Old 02-25-2002, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't understand it either but the matte scopes are always more money.Probably supply and demand.Since more hunters want Matte they can get a higher price,knowing they will get it.. Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-25-2002, 03:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-26-2002, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

The gloss has never seemed to make a difference in the field, especially late in the evening. However when I get the urge or think I need it, I just get out a can of flat black rustoleum ,cover the lens and spray away. My friends shudder at the thought sometimes I even spray my Bar's. matter of fact I'm going to do one before next deer season. If you want to take he paint off just get some lacqure thinner and a good rag.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:09 AM

I have a gloss finished scope on my slug gun, by the time a deer notices it, its already heard the shot and felt the slug. I can't explain why Leupold charges more unless the matte is magic paint and the stainless paint gives off stars or something.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

Rochelle,
I'd rather have a gloss Leupold than either one of those other scopes. The leupold is much better. If you really want a matte finish, pay the extra. You'll never be sorry.
The only thing that a Bushnell scope is good for, is using it as a tent stake!