Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 223 for deer? >

223 for deer?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

223 for deer?

Old 07-23-2004, 12:36 PM

Default RE: 223 for deer?

The point is, alot of folks can't shoot a larger rifle. So why must they shoot a gun that will kick them silly and affect their shooting due to flinching and such, when they can comfortably shoot a small calibre rifle with deadly accuracy? I have a friend who lives in British Columbia, (where it is legal) and she is looking for a .223 to hunt deer. No, she can't shoot a .243 very well. She is not a big girl, and just the thought of a larger gun makes her flinch.
A .243 is a "larger" rifle, that will kick them silly? and....
".. .. .. just the thought of a larger gun makers her flinch .. .. .."

Chuckle, thanks, I needed some humor to start off my day.
Is she of legal age to buy a rifle yet? Sounds like an operator/training problem.

223 - 4 lbs
243 - 9 lbs
270 - 20 lbs
Old 07-23-2004, 03:42 PM

NOT BIG ENOUGH. PERIOD! a .17 can drop a deer, but its not ethical. There is higher chance of wounding one w/ a 223. my grand dad always used a .22rimfire, and put it between the ear and eye, but he also never shot if the angle ect.. wasnt there, times have changed w/ fewer opportunities,time, more preasure ect..
Old 07-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I'm not going to "down" anyone for their choice of caliber. For me, I wouldn't hunt deer with anything less than the 243 and here's the my "take" on this subject. Not all shots on deer are a perfect broad-side shots and not all deer hunters are perfect shots. With that said, taking a shot that accidentally missed the "boiler room" with a 223 or a 30-06, your chances of recovering a deer with the 06 are much higher. Just my .02
Old 07-23-2004, 08:25 PM

I've seen deer killed with a .22lr (by a poacher as it is not legal to do so here) but I sure wouldn't want to try it. I like the idea of a larger bullet, I'd take a handgun cartridge chambered in a rifle over a .223, but that is my opinion. I also had a friend that swore by his .22-250 for deer.

There must be a dozen threads on deer with a .223 in the last year...
Old 07-23-2004, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok, everybody and his brother got in on this one, so why should i be left out!! elkmaster,oldelk,deerslayer,bigcountry,vapodog,pha roah2,eldeguello,
and even Briman got to add his little french guy waving the surrender flag, so why shouldnt mossy get to bump his post number up on this significantly over debated subject!!! Ok here it goes, I shoot on average 3 deer a year with a Bow which I practice making the perfect vital shot in the perfect area, only when the deer is in the perfect place, same rules apply here, if you practice shooting deer with a 223 making perfect shots, then go for it, BUT you MUST be ready to pass up some shots on some nice deer that you may be able to take if you were carring the 270,7mm, 300win mag.

(Does this mean I can start carrying my preban AR-15 with 30 rnd mag. and bayonet in the wood with me???) hey its a .223!!!
Old 07-24-2004, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

(Does this mean I can start carrying my preban AR-15 with 30 rnd mag. and bayonet in the wood with me???) hey its a .223!!!
I don't know! You can carry it in NY, but NOT the 30-round magazine! if you have a 5-round magazine for it, it is legal. There were many mornings at Ft. Hood TX during deer season when people showed up at the Rod & Gun Club around 0300 hours, with an AR 15 or some other SA .223 to shoot deer with. I always thought they looked a bit ridiculous, toting those things to the woods......
Old 07-24-2004, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah but eldeguello, what if i miss with the first 29 shots, and hes still runnin', or better yet what if im just puchin holes with the FMJ's im shootin? The nice thing about a semi is you can give em a volley bang bang bang bang bang bang bang..........

(I'm just kidding fellas dont wanna start another thread on how bad a shot, or unethical Mossy is!!) lol
Old 07-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mossy, as a bow hunter, you should know that there is a big difference in the way a bullet kills, and how a broadhead kills! Any of the .22's are just too poor of a bullet for deer hunting! In the hands of a very well practiced hunter, and under ideal conditions, yes, the .22's will work! The second part of my last sentence is the real key!
"Ideal!"
Ideal conditions rarely exist in real world hunting! With dozens of better calibers available, there is just no good reason to use any of the .22's, let alone recommending them to people whose marksmanship abilities you know nothing of!
Old 07-24-2004, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mossy...How many rifle hunters get to hunt undisturbed deer like bow hunters?

Nearly 100% of the deer I've killed with my bow I could have killed with a 22lr to the brain.

Is this the same thing? I think not.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok guys, i was just trying to throw my .02 in on this subject, Im glad they didnt ask our opinions on abortion, this thread would be 300 pages long, everybody has their own opinion, so lets just agree to disagree, I was merely trying to pass my opinon along with a little humor.

Quick Reply: 223 for deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.