Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hornady H2K Slugs >

Hornady H2K Slugs

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hornady H2K Slugs

Old 07-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hornady H2K Slugs

I saw the hornady 12 Ga. h2k sabot slugs the other day. 300 gr. xtp @ like 2000 fps. Anybody try them, especially out of a Marlin 512?? How did they shoot?
Old 07-09-2004, 08:45 PM

Default RE: Hornady H2K Slugs

I just shot two boxes of these the other day. They grouped right at 2" for a three shot group at 100 yards. That was out of my mossberg 695 with a heavy trigger. Best thing you can do is pick up a couple of boxes and try them out. So far the best i have used, in terms of accuracy and effect on deer, is federals 3/4 oz barnes epander slug. I shot two deer with them last year and the worked great. On was at 60 yards, and the other was out around 125 yards.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried a box yesterday. They were awful out of my Marlin 512. Nothing you could contrew to be a group, at 50 yds. This gun will shoot 1" easily with Winchester's cheapest sabot at 50 yds, so i know it's the ammo.

Next I think I'll try Remington's Core Lokt Ultra sabot slug. Anybody try those yet?
Old 07-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Try lightfields
Old 07-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those LIGHTFEILDS are great!!!!! great groups and stopping power
Old 07-22-2004, 02:31 PM
bigcountry

Wow, too, bad they didn't ask about the lightfields, he would be set.

I have tried all the super fast shotgun slugs >1800fps from the Corelok Ultras to Winchesters. I can't get any of them to group. I get flyers out of a 5 shot group. I will have three clustered in 2" and then one 4" away. I have tried all of the 3" mags with 1oz slug, and can't get them to group. But have great luck with the 2 3/4" Federal hydroshok, and 2 3/4" Remington Copper solid. I get 2" groups very consistently. Lightfields do ok. And get 3-4" groups with them. Never liked there terminal performance at deer over 60 yards away. The loose energy pretty quick. This is out of 3 different slug guns.

Old 07-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. I'll probably try the Rem corelok ultras. If they don't work I'll just stick with the Win 2 3/4 sabots that give 1" groups at 50.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:28 PM
bigcountry

I only gave them a 10 shot try. I wanted them to work, as I need some extra range when in the swamps. Maybe I didn't let my gun cool. I suggest 1 or 2 shots, then let you gun cool for like 5-10min. Give them an honest shake. I didn't do this and the flyer always happened on the 3rd shot.

Old 07-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Have you ever considered giving the Brenekke slugs a shot (pun)? I'm extremely satisfied with the 3" Gold Magnums. They give me awesome performance hre my rifled, bull barrel slug gun.

Brenekke has been making slugs for a LONG time, probobly, maybe longer than any one else. They don't really make "deer" slugs. Their slugs are designed for "big game" animal, such as Cape Buffalo and such. Definately more than enough for deer sized animals.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 07-23-2004, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big C

I did allow plenty of time between shots. I had sighted in with my winchesters and they were shooting very well. I then tried the H2k. First shot was good on elevations but 8" right at 50 yds. I adjusted the scope for 4" left of that POI, then left the scope alone. Next shot was low about 4" and 3" left of Point of Aim (7" left of where it should have gone). Next shot was good on windage, but 3" high. Next shot was good elevation, but 2" left. No semblance of a group. I can only conclude they were not being stabilized. Whatever the reason, I can't see buying another box.

Uncle Matt

I have tried brennekes in the past. I haven't shot them in this gun though. What are you paying per box, and what is the slug weight/velocity. Also, is it a true sabot, or something else?

Quick Reply: Hornady H2K Slugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.