Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 looking for a .... >

looking for a ....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

looking for a ....

Old 07-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default looking for a ....

im looking for a good trigger for my mauser 98k....its already sporterized..bent bolt....new saftey...drilled and tapped with a leupold ontop....new stock....so im not ruining a good military rifle....im looking to replace the old military trigger...that thing breaks at probably 6-8lbs and creeps a mile before and after...getting harder and harder to pull and you get closer to the breaking point...then has alot of play after the breaking point....typical military trigger....and i cant stand it.....its starting to irritate me now that im shooting groundhogs and targets out there a good ways....i can do it easy with a nice trigger....but its tough pulling that hard and that wierdly.....i want a trigger that doesnt creep at all.....just a crisp break....at about 2lbs would be nice....noone uses the rifle but me and i will never sell it....it will be with me when i die if i can convince them to burry me with it....or ill pass it to the kids...if theres kids...but anyways....anyone know of any good replacements that arent to pricey?? i dont want to spend tons because i could just buy another rifle just for shooting groundhogs if i wanted to spend alot...shooting deer it doesnt bother me much.....but squeezing off on a black speck 300yards away gets tough when you have to pull my trigger lol......anyone have any good options?? id spend upto probably 150 or so......but not much more then that....if i buy one....i dont know...id really like to...but that dang truck payment...i want to get rid of it.....but im working alot...instead of paying alot more then i have to i can keep a few bucks for the trigger i guess.....i know thats what my problem is with the gun....got good glass......good bore.....just need a good trigger.....anyone? thanx alot
Old 07-04-2004, 05:08 AM

Default RE: looking for a ....

Check with Brownells on-line. I know they sell triggers and trigger assemblies. Most run about $100.00 and up.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just installed a Timney on mine and for under $40.

An excellent trigger and easy to install.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

mauser06 It's tough to shoot small targets with a bad trigger ain't it. I had a trigger on a Ruger that you almost needed both hands on it to pull it.[:@] I had my smith put a Timney trigger on it. I can't recall the price of the trigger? He did some other work for me at the same time. My bill was higher than just a standard trigger replacement.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can order a number of different triggers from Brownells, Midway, and most any other shooting supply warehouse.

The Timney sportsman and the Bold triggers are relatively inexpensive at about $45.00 each plus shipping.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have both Timney and Bold triggers on sporterized mausers ,they both are good buys. I like to get them with the side safty , just a little inleting.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

the price is right guys...but dad wont let me.....hes wierd about that stuff.....i told him i want to go down to a crisp 2-3lbs...hes like no way! he says i should buy another rifle.....and the trigger is out of the question unless i set it at 6-8...who in the world wants a 6-8lb trigger?????? he just doesnt understand..hes like get used to shooting it....its just as easy to be accurate with..just learn to control it.....come on dad.....i want tight groups....not a shotgun scatter target.....im capable of shooting much better then the rifle because of the trigger......i have to talk him into it.....50 bucks is alot better then i thought....i can scrounge that out of my car seats if i looked i bet.....does dad know i have a hair trigger on my flinter???? he would take it off of me i bet....he thinks 2-3 lbs is too light......he just doesnt know.....hes not into making guns better.......he thinks you can always do your part and make it shoot to its best.....but in my case its pretty dang tough.....you cant be deadly accurate pulling a crappy 6+lb trigger that breaks when it wants.....that 50 bux will change my mauser into a tack driver.....i know it would make all the diffrence....i can feel it when i shoot now...i know thats why my groups arent tight....im going to try to talk him into it....theres no reason not to......its perfectly safe....not like im a kid and dont know how to control myself and need a 10lb trigger to keep accidents from happening or anything.....i dont even touch the trigger till im right on the target i want to hit...heck the saftey isnt even off till im on the animal i want to take a shot at....he raised a very safe hunter...and i dont hunt with gloves or anything that would make me not feel the trigger.....i freeze in deer season just so when the time comes i CAN feel the trigger....i dont know...thanx for the help guys...ill try to talk him into letting me....if not it will be a few years till i get one.....i love my hair trigger on the flinter.....its my favorite trigger to pull.....when im on target the gun is going off with very little movement and resistance....that gives me very accurate shots......thats what i need in my mauser....except not a hair trigger...just a crisp lighter one....
Old 07-04-2004, 09:12 PM

I never understood why some people think a trigger can be a safety device.....
Old 07-04-2004, 10:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont know....ask my dad lol........i know they arent......the only saftey device is the shooter....making the right decisions and using his/her head......i dont see how having a lighter trigger makes a gun more unsafe.......its not going to be so light that it goes off if you blow on it(ive seen a 2oz trigger that you could do that...it seemed like when you THOUGHT about touching the trigger it broke..) i dont know....i will talk with dad.....he will say its your gun your life your money......your decision i bet.....and theres a good smith right out the road.....ill take it to him and have him get me the proper trigger and properly install it and properly adjust it......maybe dad just dont want me outshooting him even more???? lol
Old 07-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Send me your trigger and bolt and I'll turn that factory military trigger into a fine shooter and you won't be going against your dad. It's pretty easy, if you have the equipment, to take out that first "stage" of your trigger pull and most of the rest of the pre creep and have it break at a very nice and crisp 4 pounds that feels like 2.5 pounds.

Most good gunsmiths will be able to do this for you. Just take it to one and tell them that you want to remove the pre creep and enhance the engagement surfaces. You should have it back in a few days. They can even drill and tap the front lobe of the trigger and install an adjustment screw so you can adjust it to your liking.

PM if you want and I'll discuss it further with you.

Those triggers were only designed that way because at that time the German military was taking in every available male and giving them a gun to shoot no matter if they had ever even seen a rifle before. That and the fact that they were under fire could create a bad scenario for the "Friendlies". All of the old military rifles used almost identical triggers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.