Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 winchester 1895 for hunting? >

winchester 1895 for hunting?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

winchester 1895 for hunting?

Old 07-03-2004, 04:36 PM

Default winchester 1895 for hunting?

I have a model 1895 SRC in 30-06 that i take with me hunting.
I've been told by some that I ought to leave it at home so it wont get ruined.

I was wondering how many others take along their older favorites.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:22 PM

Default RE: winchester 1895 for hunting?

Why would you want to leave a fine rifle like that at home instead of using it for the very purpose it was designed? With all due respect to whomever said this to you, if the rifle isn't a wallpiece yet, don't treat it as such.

And why would it be ruined? If you maintain it properly it'll serve you well for at least your lifetime. To me, personally, a usable rifle is worth more than any antique piece.

Just treat it with the care any rifle needs and it'll be fine, have fun and good hunting!

Vesi
Old 07-04-2004, 11:54 AM

I will agree with Vesi. This rifle is designed as a hunting rifle, so it should be used as such. And with all due rerspect, the 1895 is a beautiful piece, but the 30-06 chamber for for that gun should not qualify it as an antique. If it were chambered for an obsolete cartridge, where you cannot find any ammo or components, then hang it. But what you have is a rifle with readily available ammo, a strong action, and hopefully a straight shooting barrel. To me, this sounds like a gun that's just begging to be carried on an epic adventure. Find yourself one of the 1895's in .405 winchester, and take the two two Africa for the adventure of a lifetime. This is my dream one day. Good luck, and good shootin'.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I have no use for wall hanging guns that still function, it's kind of like getting sent to the old folks home when you're 30, the gun isn't so old that it's unsafe to use, so use it. I also have no use for gold plated, fancy pants guns that were never meant to be shot, kind of like a beautiful woman that never gets glammed up and just wears sweatpants all day.

If you've been hunting the gun, keep hunting it, what's the odds you'd sell it even if it were worth as much as people might claim it's worth? My brother in law has a Pre-64 Winchester featherweight M-70 .270win, it's been appraised at just over $3k, and he's been offered $4500 for it and $5000 if the scope went with it, he hunts deer with it every winter, coyotes with it all summer, and shoots targets with it year round, it's still in pristene condition so the value is still good, but what would be the point of anyone having a gun just to look at.