Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

9x18 markov

Old 02-23-2002, 02:56 PM

Default 9x18 markov

anyone know anything about them,got a good deal on one today,looks good shoots even better.got gun,box of about 125 rounds of ammo, $75.00

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 02-23-2002, 03:17 PM

Default RE: 9x18 markov

Good deal Tree Climber! You got it at way less than the wholesale price, must be a Bulgarian Mak to be that low in cost. I have three Maks, East German, Bulgarian and Russian. It's just about the right size and weight for concealed carry, I have one within reach all the time. I find it's one of the most difficult blowback type pistols to get to jam up, and I run thousands of hardcast 9x18 loads through it each year without fail. Parts are plentiful and ammo is abundant, and it shoots as well as it looks. The Mak became one of the best pistol deals of the 1990's.
Old 02-23-2002, 03:32 PM

762mm;it is German made,got it from a boy at work.
I did buy it for concealed carry,because of the size.got my CCP about a year ago and have been looking for a weapon of that size.
also my wife can handle it pretty well.
thanks.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 02-23-2002, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tree Climber, A couple of my friends carry Markov's.They are both satisfied with them. I believe the German made are the better of them.For that price you stole it.Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-23-2002, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

You sure did get one hell of a deal. I also have 3 Mak's..... 1 East German which is the best shooting of the 3, and 2 Hungarian F.E.G.'s. One of the F.E.G.'s is only a 6 shot...very small and a great concealed carry weapon. The other F.E.G. I have is a two-tone with blued steel slide but aluminum frame....lightweight but not very comfortable. The 9 x 18 is a decent round....just a hair below the 9mm in power....nothing very potent but beats the .380
Old 02-23-2002, 04:09 PM

thanks for all the info,makes me feel a little better.
now my wife wants one.
Old 02-23-2002, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tree Climber they might be cheaper by the dozen? Get one for each hand a couple extra's just in case. Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-01-2002, 02:36 PM

2 million East German Secret Police (STASI) can't be wrong...

Actually, I have a couple of Makarovs as well and carry one regularly. Some ammo is dirty, but find some that works and it will be an efficient gun. An overlooked benefit of it is that it is the easiest gun to clean, which means you actually clean it more often and that helps it stay effective.

Check out www.makarov.com for more details and for the all important accessories.

Chubber
Old 03-04-2002, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>The 9 x 18 is a decent round....just a hair below the 9mm in power....nothing very potent but beats the .380 <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Understanding that bullets are designed to either penetrate or expand, the .9mak is an excellent round for CCW. Like the famed .45acp the rounded or blunt ogive design of both bullets lend itself well to the task at hand...personal defense. If you look at both bullets side/side you will see that they are very similar. (only the .9mak looks like someone shrunk it in the dryer)
According to &quot;the numbers&quot; the .45 would be a rather inneffective round. The .9mak, performs way better than it's &quot;numbers&quot; indicate. Way better than a .380 and in many cases better than the traditional .9mm.
BTW,Hornady and S&B make good rounds and the Russian brand &quot;Wolf&quot; is really good practice ammo.