Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Deer rifle for small girlfriend >

Deer rifle for small girlfriend

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Deer rifle for small girlfriend

Old 06-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer rifle for small girlfriend

The .270 would fall more in line with the '06, .308, .280, and the 7MM-08.
If she can handle these, the 7MM-08 will do just about anything these others do, with less recoil too! That would be my choice!
Old 06-25-2004, 09:58 PM

First of all, has your girl ever shot a rifle before? She needs proper safety and handling instruction as well as shot placement instruction. Also, the rifle must fit her regardless of caliber, or it will kick her. Hunting is serious business and should be approached by people who have been checked out and trained. Worry about putting the deer down on the first shot, not recoil. If she goes under gunned and under trained, she'll really be upset with you when that deer is staggering into the brush line.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:27 PM
DM

I'd want to stay with a "short action" , so that leaves out 270, 280 ect.... I'd like to see something one knotch bigger than a 6mm bullet too, so my choises would be in this order, 260, 257 Roberts, 7-08.

260 will be all she needs with low recoil. The 257 Rbts is also good, but with less recoil than the 7-08. The 7-08 will have the most power, but also the most recoil of the three.

Most important of all, is to be sure to match the bullet design and weight to the intended animial your hunting!!!!

Drilling Man

Old 06-25-2004, 11:01 PM

Training will not be a problem. We shoot often. Me about once a week her a little less, but alot more than most. She shoots trap and pistols alotand hopefully more long range once she has a rifle that fits her well. Another concern I have is finding a caliber that is very common. I like the fact that I can find -06 ammo every where. I hear alot of people saying 7mm-08 and 260 and mixed emmotions on 243. Now what about rifles. Are there much differances in the different 700 models? what are thoughts on the Howda, Tikka T3, CZ, rem 788, savage 110, rem 700, win 70, rem 7? What do you guys think.
~Thanx again
Old 06-25-2004, 11:17 PM

Howa is a japanese weathery, savages have the adjustable trigger pull, remingtons are great, I have a winchester model 70 and the trigger pull is a little heavy, but my money would go with the Ruger M77mrkII.....pick a caliber
Old 06-26-2004, 05:15 AM

this is the wifes ruger mk2 in .257 roberts she has no problem with it.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:14 PM

Ok so I have a couple Rugers and they all look like they were milled with a tool that is ten times too dull and just forced though the material. I also have dislike the fact that Bill Ruger sold out all american gun owners when he proposed to congress a ban on pistol mag capacities. So other than Rugers what do you guys like.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.savagearms.com/11fxp3.htm
Old 06-26-2004, 10:39 PM

6.5x55 may be a little better suited for a long shot on a mulie, and I am worried that anything bigger might kick her too hard and then she might lose interest. She is really little, about like my GF. CZ 550 is a good rifle in that caliber and is a good value for the money. Savage .243 should also be given a lot of consideration. Also, she might really like the feel of the Savage Youth Model in .243. My GF loves her Youth Model. I fully agree with you about Ruger... Good luck..

Vinny
Old 06-26-2004, 10:47 PM

Recommend you & she take a look at the Remington 700 ADL Youth Synthetic model.
This comes with a shortened stock from the factory. I believe the LOP is approx. 12-1/2"
The rifle is relatively inexpensive, and it is still a 700 action. It can be had in .270 which
would fill your requirement of being a common cartridge, ammo availability, etc., manageable recoil, and is well suited to longer range shooting if needed.
I suspect if she is shooting trap, etc., then she should have no problem with a .270.
Good luck, and good hunting!

Quick Reply: Deer rifle for small girlfriend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.