Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .243 or 7mm-08? >

.243 or 7mm-08?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.243 or 7mm-08?

Old 06-24-2004, 04:47 PM
Host of Hosts

Default RE: .243 or 7mm-08?

7mm08
Old 06-25-2004, 09:15 AM

I too have and use both calibers. Both have their advantages over the other. If your goal is sheep hunting, I'm not sure why you're leaving the .06 behind. I've taken many deer with both the .243 and the .08 and they are both terrific. The .243 is like lightning on deer. The farthest any have gone was about 10 feet. It's also very effective on furbearers especially if you're a reloader. the December edition of BUGLE magazine even had an article about taking an elk with the little .243, although most would recommend against that. The 7mm-08 on the other hand is full power next to the 243. Ballistically, it's great. I shoot the Nosler 140gr BT, and it'll stop sheep in their tracks. I guess what I'm saying is, they're apples and oranges. You need to figure out which way to lean. the .243 on the light end vs the .08 which is strong across the middle. Your call. Happy shooting. Buy them both!
Old 06-25-2004, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

You won't find a great difference in the 7MM-08 and the '06.
The 7MM-08 is just about as perfect a deer cartridge as you'll find but, if you want diversity, go with something like the .243! It will double great as a deer/varmint gun!
Old 06-30-2004, 09:27 AM

I cannot agree with the above statements saying that there isn't much difference between the 30-06 and the 7mm-08. I have had both and the 7mm-08 is much easier on the shoulder and ears! This is one of the main reasons why I bought a 700BDL in this cartridge to begin with. The 7mm-08 is also a very accurate cartridge and easy to load. Both Winchester and Browning say in their 2004 advertisements for the new 25WSSM that the 7mm-08 is easily outclassed by the 25WSSM. This is a bunch of bull and they know it!! The only problem with some factory 7mm-08s is that they are throated and magazined short and it is difficult to take advantage of the heavier bullets in this caliber. I cannot comment on the .243 because I have never had one - although I have always wanted to try one.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:44 PM

Hi DarbyDabadoo,

Both the .243 and 7mm-08 are good medium game cartridges. The .243 does great double duty on large varmints and deer size game. The 7mm-08 is a standout performer on deer size game and really good on even larger medium game. I've owned several in the past and wouldn't hesitate to recommend either.

They are both so great that I couldn't make up my mind and finally split the difference. Now I own a .260 Remington which perfectly splits the performance of the above two for me, complimently perfectly my .30-06!

Good luck on your choice.

Dave
Old 06-30-2004, 04:20 PM

however I find it a little heavy on whitetail (at close range). I also want a different caliber for sheep hunting.
With all due respect, I must point out that Mr Darby's post is not saying anything in connection with looking for a rifle with less recoil than a 30.06. In fact the words, "recoil," and, "shoulder," do not even appear in his post. He is merely asking for a cartridge that will not be so heavy on the deer, and that would also be suitable for sheep. So, recoil aside, there really isn't that much difference in what a deer looks like after it has been hit with a 30.06 at close range and a 7mm/08 at close range. The difference is so negligible that it would hardly be worth spending the money for a 7mm/08. The .243 on the other hand does do noticeably less damage to a deer at close range than the .06, and it, too, is very much suitable for sheep.

Now then, that said, I personally would not buy another rifle just to decrease damage to deer at short range. If all I wanted to do was hit a deer a little less hard, I would keep my money and simply shoot a load out of my 30.06 that was a little less hot. That is the whole beauty of the .06. There are numerous outstanding loads available for just about anything a person would want to accomplish. I would think that a 110 grain Hornady Spire Pt ahead of 50.2 grains of H4895 for a published velocity of 3100 fps should work splendidly! And, if that is still too hot, you can go to Hodgdon's website and see where they say that you can use H4895 to make even lighter loads, using what they call there 60% rule, (loading H4895 to 60% of the published maximum load) to make what they term, "Youth Loads." NOTE: THIS CAN ONLY BE DONE WITH H4895!! VERIFY EVERYTHING FROM THEIR WEBSITE!! LOOK UP "YOUTH LOADS." And if he does not hand load, Remington has now come out with factory light loads that they call, "Managed Recoil," loads. These should also work splendidly. That would also reduce recoil significantly, although that is not the issue here. And I also totally agree with the previous post that said, "...if you are going sheep hunting, why are you leaving your 30.06 behind?" The .06 is an excellent sheep cartidge, either in a regular loading or a lighter loading. Now, if Mr Darby just flat out WANTS to buy another rifle, then by all means, he should go out and buy that .243 straight away, but it is absolutely not necessary to achieve his stated objective. He already has the perfect medicine in his hands.

Vinny
Old 06-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems there are a lot of fans for the 7MM-08 here , considering that it does make you wonder why two manufacturers have dropped it from thier line-up .NEF and Ruger (except for the compact ). I don't know about Remington or Winchester but know the other two have dropped it .
Old 06-30-2004, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

why two manufacturers have dropped it from thier line-up .NEF and Ruger (except for the compact ).
I don't know where you got your info on NEF dropping the 7mm-08 Rem because it is still listed and still on the website. As far as Ruger, I know it is only listed in the Compact on the website, but I just bought a 77 Mk II lightweight 7mm-08 that was manufactured this year. Ruger has a habit of not listing everything on their site. The 7mm-08 Rem really shines in the short, handy rifles anyway.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:59 PM

NEF doesn't offer it? Ruger only has one model? No loss.

Remington, Sako, Tikka, Weatherby, Winchester, Browning, Thompson and Steyr all still offer it and make better rifles than Ruger or NEF.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:34 PM

Given a choice between the two you noted, I'd go with the 7mm-08. I've used a .243
years ago for deer hunting, and found it a bit on the light side (mule deer). Ok for antelope though.
Any case, for the uses you noted why not take a look at the .260Rem. A friend of mine has one, and uses it on whitetail with no complaints at all. Take a look at the Remington
700 LSS Mtn. rifle (stainless with lam. stock).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.