Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchester model 94 Timber Carbine >

Winchester model 94 Timber Carbine

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester model 94 Timber Carbine

Old 06-03-2004, 02:45 PM
Spike

Default Winchester model 94 Timber Carbine

According to the Winchester web site, the Winchester Model 94 Timber Carbine has been chambered for the .450 Marlin cartridge. Does anyone have any familiarity with it? They indicate that it comes from the factory with a Pachmayer decelerator recoil pad, and probably for good reason.

Any information provided will be greatly appreciated,
Boltaction
Old 06-03-2004, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Winchester model 94 Timber Carbine

Having owned a Marlin 444 and looked at a friends 444 timber carbine. I can tell you to buy the Marlin 450 instead of the Winchester. The Winchester is handier because of its narrow foreend but that is where the pluses end.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Spike

Thanks for your response Oldelkhunter. Please tell me more about the pluses of the Marlin Guide Gun in .450 Marlin over the Winchester Timber Carbine. Is the Winchester more cheaply made? Too light? Heavy recoil? Look forward to receiving your information.

Kindly,
Boltaction
Old 06-03-2004, 03:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 94's are good guns but the Marlin is that much better than the 94. The action in the Marlin is smoother and stronger than that of the 94. The Marlin also has a lot less moving parts with out that droping plate that the 94 has.

Like I said both are good guns but if I were to buy one it would be the Marlin.

Here they are side by side. Marlin also has the pistol grip stocked gun but with a 22 inch barrel.

Old 06-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Boltaction..Big Bulls pretty much layed it out. I will say another plus is the bolt can be removed rather easily on the Marlin in a simple procedure and it can be cleaned thru the breech. Oh and lets not forget you can fit a scope easily to a Marlin not quite so with a Winchester.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 450 marlin is a great cartridge. Personally, I don't like ported barrels. I also like a bit more barrel length than the Win. Timber. If they don't make it in a rifle length, then I would consider a Marlin 1895SS in 45/70, especially if you reload. You will be able to duplicate 450 performance with no trouble.

I also feel the Marlin is a better gun. Pick both of them up and see how they feel to you.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personallt like the Marlin better. One reason is that a scope can be mounted more easily, and the Marlins feel better in my hands. Maybe because I have fairly long fingers.