Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage in 7mm-08 >

Savage in 7mm-08

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage in 7mm-08

Old 06-01-2004, 08:00 PM

Default Savage in 7mm-08

So I now have made up my mind on which caliber to go with. I decided to go with the 7mm-08, thanks for your advice. Now I have narrowed it down to a Savage 11FYXP3 in the youth combo with the scope. Do you think that this will be a good gun for elk and deer? I am not familar at all with this caliber but you say it is good. Please help, I will not be buying until the first of August. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:02 PM

Default RE: Savage in 7mm-08

I don't know my self about the caliber. I would however recomend that the rifle from savage that you get have the accu-trigger! It's a great innovation.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

That will be a gret choice for a new elk hunter. With a Federal premiun 140 grain nosler partition or 150 grain Speer hot core loads or from Winchester the 140 grain failsafe load you will have a great elk round. Of course if you decide to reload for it later on or now you can do much better than factory loads.

As long as the shooter is up to it you will have enough bullet to get the job done out to 300 yards.

Sighted in 2" high at 100 yards will put you back to zero at 200+- yards and about 8 inches low at 300 yards.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think t would be a good choice. Savage rifles are inexpensive but every one I have had any dealings with were very accurate rifles. A very good value for the money in my opinion.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

For elk keep your shots under 200 yds., and use a well constructed bullet. Good luck
Old 06-02-2004, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

I have the 10gxp Savage 7mm-08.. it's a nice combo for the money. The caliber (in my opinion) shines. it's a nice fit for Deer and slightly larger game i would say. The only thing i find with the savage guns is the bolt action isn't as smooth as my Model 70. may take some wearing in but overall a nice package. Mine also has the accutrigger with is quite nice to be honest. It actually feels different when shooting in a good way.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:12 AM

You have made a great choice in you rifle. Bear in mind, you may have a hard time finding that package. We have a problem getting most Savage peroducts up here. Not sure what its like where you call home. The 7mm-08 is fabulous. I know 3 people who love them so much, thats all they shoot. My uncle uses it exclusivly to hunt everything up to and including moose. My cousin likes it's performance, esspecialy since he shoot factory. I sighted in his 788 bang on a 100 yards. The bullet arches perfectly that it hits bang on again at 300 yards! I don't know how, but it still only a few inches highj at 200. Very light recoil, good selection of ammo and premium bullets, a light rifle, and a sexy looking cartridge to boot! Good luck and enjoy "your" wifes new gun!
Old 06-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

While not the perfect round for Elk, it will get the job done with the use of good bullets. Federal loads some good factory loads with Nosler Partition and Sierra as well as Speer Glandslams. I would use the 160 or 175 grain bullets for Elk and the 140 or even 120 for deer. The Savage is a real good choice. I have one on layaway right now in 7mm-08. I don't know what scope they are putting on thier package rifles but if need be you could replace it with a better scope later. My last Package rifle had a cheap Simmons scope which I used for three or four years then put that one on my 22 and put one of the better Bushnells on it. A trophy model as I remember.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

I was looking at a Savage 7mm-08 just a couple months ago, for my wife. I was looking at the new Seirra 10FM Ultra Light though. I was seriously leaning towards the the 7mm-08, but choose the .308 instead, because I was already set up for reloading the .308 and had all the bullets, powders, brass, and dies needed for the .308 Win. If I were going to shoot strictly facotry ammo I would have gone with the 7mm-08 in a heart beat.

The 10FM Seirra has a 20" barrel, with a 13.5" pull length, is about 40" overall, and weighs about 6.5 pounds less mounts, rings, and scope. Right out of the box, the Accu-trigger was factory set at just below 3#'s. I put Weaver Grand Slam bases, Millett angel-loc rings, and a Nikon 3-9x50 Buckmaster scope on it. After about 50 rounds of breaking in the barrel, it shoots very well. With Federal Gold Match 168gr, which is all I have shoot in it so far because I have a case of it, I have gotten a few groups in the 3/4" range, but most run in the 1-1.25" range. The first 3 shots are extremely tight, in the 1/2" range, then the barrel heats up and the 4th & 5th shots open the groups up some what. But it is a great shooter so far, and I haven't even gotten into bedding it or anything else.

Ammo with a good bullet like the Nosler Partition, Speer Grand Slam, Barnes X-bullet, Win. Failsafes, and/or other premium bullets, in the 140gr plus range, should do the job on elk out to 200yds just fine. For deer, it should be a fine 300yd rifle.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Savage? ...Execelent choice...

Quick Reply: Savage in 7mm-08

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.