Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I need a .270, which one should I get >

I need a .270, which one should I get

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I need a .270, which one should I get

Old 06-24-2004, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need a .270, which one should I get

If you're looking for the rifle to be used by youths or women of smalled stature, don't attempt to get a "lightweight" rifle. For carrying its fine, but for shooting the felt recoil is heavier the lighter your rifle weighs. a couple of pounds heavier adds up over a day of carrying, but for shooting the couple pounds lighter translates to much more recoil. Fit of rifle is important, and a lightweight will spank you more.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:18 AM
Fork Horn

As for the recoil pad, go look at the Sims Vibration Labs, Limbsaver. I put one on my 444 Marlin and the felt difference was astounding. That pad on a 7mm-08 would be very comfortable for extended outings at the range.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:14 AM

if u want a youth model .270 i found one that might be to your interest...Savage arms makes it ...it's a youth model 10GY, 110GY ... it weighs 6.2 lbs the barrel length is 22 inches and holds 4 shots
Old 06-26-2004, 04:55 AM

Recoil pads are great, I have them on my larger rifles. But a pad makes the stock longer and it may not be a good fit for his wife and son.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:56 PM

The comments on the recoil pad are accurate. However, with a Savage brand rifle, I recommend adding one, especially consider a Sims Vibration Labs Slip-on. My mom has a Savage rifle chambered in 7mm-08 REM (I have a Remington 788 in this caliber) and it has considerablely more recoil than mine. My dad put it's recoil about the same as his Winchester model 70 30-06 until he added a Sims slip-on to her gun. He now classes it with her Remington 600 in 222. Having the stock cut down to compensate for the pad should not cost much and would be worth every penny to make the weapon fit properly. Use the heaviest bullets you can for elk and be sure to practice a lot to know the shooters limits as well as the performance of the weapon. This is a good caliber for what you've listed.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is not much you will find in a youth model for under 400 dollars unless you find a bargain on a used gun. You might have to bite the bullet and spend a little more especially if you want a quality firearm. You are probably not wanting to spend to much on the account that your wife and daughter might not keep interest in the sport. Heres a different angle to consider buy something that will work for them aswell as yourself so that way if they lose interest you have yourself a fine firearm for your own use. Another problem you may run into is a .270 is a long action caliber asfar as I know all youth models are in short action calibers such as .308 , 243, etc . My recommendation is the Remington M700 Mountain rifle available in .270 and other popular calibers. Its an in between size rifle. Its inbetween the size of a Model 7 and a full size M700. Has slightly cut down stock and a light contoured barrel. I own one in .308 win(the rifle is no longer produced in .308) and its a pure pleasure hunting companion very easy to handle. Especially easy to carry the gun alone weighs 6 1/2 pounds, Scoped and loaded probably weighs just shy of 7 1/2 lbs. Not to mention the accuraccy is great I use Remington express core lokt ammo ( the cheap stuff) and it holds less then a inch groups at 100 yards. I've used this rifle for Elk, Pronghorn, and mule deer in Arizona and also whitetails in Missouri. My wife is a small framed 5'7" lady and she handles this rifle just fine. Make your choice carefully, I highly recommend looking at a M700 mountain rifle it maybe the perfect rifle and exactly what you are looking for. Would be my first choice if I was buying a rifle for my wife and daughter. Heres a link that shows all the specs on this rifle http://www.remington.com/firearms/ce...e/700mtndm.htm
Old 07-11-2004, 03:03 AM

ORIGINAL: BENOUTHUNTIN

I decided not to get a Rem. 7400. But I need a bolt rilfle for about $400. I would like a youth model in .270 if they make them. This gun will be just for my wife and daughter. They will be shooting mule deer, pronghorn and elk. I do not know much about rifles, so I figured that I would ask the experts. I don't think that I am interested in the Rem 710 due to what others have said about it. If anyone knows of a good youth model in .270 please let me know, and also why it is good. THANKS
I own a remington 710 in .270 and I think that it is one of the finest shooting rifles around (for the price). I still have the scope that it came with on the rifle. Last year I shot a 6pt at 254yds (I used a range finder) and dropped him right in his tracks. I think that you can't beat the accuracy or quality of this rifle for the amount of money that you are going to pay. I think that it even outshoots most higher priced rifles also. That's just this humble former Marines opioion.
Semper Fi
Old 07-23-2004, 08:22 PM

if u really are wanting a new .270 a great rifle for the money is the remington 700 adl it is availible with a wood stock or synthetic stock the balance of this rifle is as good as an rifle iv ever had the bolt is very snug and for around 500 dollars this gun is a great rifle it does not kick at all for a .270, i bought myself one i have stopped using my winchester model 70 saffari grade and my 700 adl has become my no 1 gun.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:27 AM

another thing you can do with he gun is look at buying the 270 with a flash supressor so the kick will not be as noticeable to them or to you. if you were hunting just deer like game i would recommend the 25/06. i shoot it for most everything we have here in oklahoma and my wife loves the gun as well the round i use is an 85 grain winchester supremem series bullet. the 7mm08 is a good gun but kind of on the same lines as a 308. it is in between 7mm and the 270 in which the flatter trajectories are going to be with the 270 or 7mm. if you can find a rifle which i think you can in savage in the weather warrior just a bit over 400 dollars but well worth the price for them. it has the flash muzzle which will make your daughter and wife very happy and they have a gun they can go after anything in north america except maybe a grizzly
rob k
Old 07-28-2004, 02:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ignorance is bliss, a 270 really is not flatter shooting then a 7mm-08 or .308 in all actuallity a 30-06 is flatter shooting then a .270. flat trajectory based on the mentioned calibers is specifies on the bullet grain weight and style ie. Ballistic coefficiency the higher the coeffiency the more efficient the bullet is. For example look at it this way take a federal power shok .270 with a 130 grain softpoint ( standard flat base soft point hunting bullet) zeroed at 100 yards is -2.9 inches low at 200 yards, now compare that to a Federal premium vital shok .308 with a 150 grain Ballistic tip which has a velocity that is 240 fps slower then the .270 but the bullet has a higher ballistic coeffiecient. the .308 zeroed at 100 yards is -3.6 inches low at 200 yards, thats only a .7 inch difference, but the .308 has more retained energy which means more knock down power at that range the .270 has 1890 ft. lbs of energy at 200 yards but the .308 has 1940 ft. lbs of energy at 200 yards. If you want true flat trajectory look into a .264 win mag, 7mm rem mag or a .270 winchester short magnum. or for a non magnum big game gun try the 25-06. Some folks should really invest in a ballistics chart before they open there cake hole and talk about stuff they know absolutely nothing about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.