Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 how much do you value your rights? ¤READ¤ >

how much do you value your rights? ¤READ¤

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

how much do you value your rights? ¤READ¤

Old 05-30-2004, 08:08 PM

Default how much do you value your rights? ¤READ¤

how much do you value the second admendment?

what would you be willing to do to protect it?

Put yourself in this situation : the government has decided that guns are just too dangerous and only government officials and the military may use/own firearms, and the government was coming to collect your firearms. if you did not give up your guns, then you would have a $5000 fine or a year in prision......what would you do?

how far would you take it?
Old 05-30-2004, 08:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: how much do you value your rights? ¤READ¤

I don't know how far I would take it with out being in that situation. I do know this though. They will not get my guns and I mean that from the depth of my being.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would take a stand and fight, if it ment that I would recieve a fine and prision time. So be it, rather that, than willingly just hand over my guns.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:28 PM
Host of Hosts

Hard question to answer without being faced with the situation. I imagine it would get pretty ugly if it came to taking my rights away.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:01 PM

If they came to take our guns away, I would remember a little boating accident on some lake somewhere with all my guns!

Seriously, I would resist in every possible way. Even if it meant open fire.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

As Charles Heston said, "From My Cold Dead Hands". Good luck.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:36 AM

Its a good question...Years ago it would be a fight. Now with two little girls, I would have to temper my response. I know my guns would disappear, but other than that I don't know. Lets try to keep it from coming to that.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:01 AM

Well if that was to happen i don't think one person or a number of single persons would stand a chance.
Those that chose to shoot them when they came to take the guns would just die. now if groups were organized they could put up a fight but that would basically mean a civil war in our nation.
boy some BATF boob is probably reading this but i might have to consider being on the fight side. meaning for our second ammendment rights. as far as i am concerned if the gov't get's that liberal and bans gun then they have destroyed the constitution and i guess i have swore to defend it a few times in my life and would have to really do it.
how many in our military and law enforcement would go against there oath to defend that right? i would bet that many would walk away from the leaders that ordered them to take guns from citizens.
and it would take a army to handle an organized resistance IMO.
so i don't know and i hope i don't have to make that decision. but i look around our nation and see local and state gov't's doing just that whittleing at them.
so it may not be that far away.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:17 AM

Much as my better judgement tells me to NOT get involved in this issue...... some important ideas come to mind. First of all, this concept that the Government will show up at your door tomorrow (or anytime) to confiscate your guns is ridiculous.... just so much reactionary nonsense. Some others here may fantasize about this.... but, being realistic, this scenario is politically impossible in this nation of ours. There are approximately 100 million legal gun owners in this country (and who knows how many illegal ones)... which make up a rather large voting block, wouldn't you say? It would be POLITICAL SUICIDE for any politician (especially at the national level) to openly advocate confiscation of citizen's property -especially property which seems to stir such strong emotions as guns - let alone actually carry through with such a plan. (Can you imagine the public furor if the Government decided that it must confiscate chainsaws, for instance, from private citizens - because they are too dangerous and produce too much pollution ? Even something like that, with far fewer owners than guns, would be political suicide.) Further, any such law that did happen to be passed by Congress or the individual States would be tied up in legal challenges (probably) forever... and therefore, would likely never be implemented.
The second major point that comes to mind has to do with responses of a couple of people who posted answers to your query (before me) and those who post after this response. For those who would fight... by that I mean, use violence...is that TRULY what you would do ? I do not wish to be mistaken - I, like you, am a gun owner - and I don't want to lose my guns any more than any of you - but, you are telling us that you would resort to (possible) murder or mayhem to save your guns ? I'm sorry, but I fail to see that that kind of attitude is reasonable... or indicative of someone who truly believes in the Rule of Law -(let alone, our Constitution). This is a cause for which I too, am willing to fight (in a LEGAL sense) - but, my friends, there is NO cause for which I am willing to commit murder. I cannot see how those of you with this attitude expect to be considered as anything but extremists.
Lastly, in our large (285.7 million), plural and individualistic society, it is obviously a work of fantasy to think that there could be such a large, well-organized conspiracy (and a conspiracy is EXACTLY what would be required).... that could overpower all of the legal gun owners (more than 1/3 of the population) - and cause such laws to be passed - and then cause such laws to be upheld in the inevitable court challenges which would follow. In any case, the first step that would be needed before any gun- confiscation statutes could be passed would be the repeal of the 2nd Amendment. I would remind all those reading this that it is INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT to change the Constitution (wisely so, thanks to the Founding Fathers) - and it would be likely an insurmountable problem for those who would wish to confiscate your guns.
Having said all of that... to answer the question originally posed, directly.... what would I do if such a thing occurred ? I certainly wouldn't attack anyone (thus, probably getting myself killed in the process). I would use every legal recourse to do something to "fight" this injustice. However, every one of you must understand that WE, (meaning all of the citizens of this nation), already have the power to prevent such a series of events from ever occurring in the first place. All we have to do are three things. One: Stay Informed. Two: Do what is necessary to preempt the "threat" (if it could be called that) to our gun rights.... such as deal with crime and black-market gun issues openly and honestly.... working WITH those who disagree with us and compromising where needed for the common good. Three: Vote.
That's all. It doesn't require killing anyone.... nor does it require an armed Revolution.
I am well aware that there are probably many among you who will (after reading this post) vilify me as a "leftist"..... a "communist".... an "evil-doer of the worst kind", or whatever. That is fine. As you wish. Absolutely no disrespect intended toward any of you, but, if you REALLY believe that there IS a nationwide conspiracy of people who, in fact, have the power to (now, or in the future) confiscate your guns - especially if we collectively work to not allow it to happen - then I would suggest professional help. Paranoia can be a devastating condition, often ruining lives.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:32 AM

targetpuncher,
Nice post.

Quick Reply: how much do you value your rights? ¤READ¤

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.