Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 steel out of factory chokes? >

steel out of factory chokes?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

steel out of factory chokes?

Old 05-31-2004, 09:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: steel out of factory chokes?

Rusty, Have him measure the constriction. I bet if he has shot much steel out of that fixed full choke barrel it isn't as constricted as it was when he bought it.

Have him send it to me when he needs his barrel cut off and threaded for new chokes. Just PM me when its time.

I did some more checking around and found that most manufacturers say it's ok to shoot steel out of their chokes as long as you do not go tighter than modified. I will say that they all had longer chokes than Mossberg does though.

Personally I would still not shoot steel out of Mossberg chokes, They are just so short and constrict very fast and that puts a lot of unnecessary stress on the muzzle of your barrel. I guess you can decide if you want to spend $35.00 for a choke that you know is fine or take the chance of having to replace your barrel.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:22 AM

Use your mod choke and it will give you full choke patterns with steel shot, safely.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:22 PM

on a waterfowl forum a guy recently posted a picture of his 870 fixed full choke barrel split open like a banana peel. says that he's shot steel shot out of it for a while but it finally caught up with him.

it is my understanding that you can shoot steel shot safetly out of any modified or larger diameter choke tube ...don't shoot steel out of a full.

i recently purchased a super black eagle and the modified and improved cylinder chokes are stamped with steel ok but the warning says don't shoot steel from the full.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:45 AM

Quick note: I have seen barrels blown apart at the muzzle, not just bulged. And once, even seen a bbl broke free of it's mount and pulled off the gun. All these times caused by steel through a full choke. The manufacturers will say its "O.K" to use steel shot smaller than #1 through a ful choke. I would not try it. Is it really worth the risk?
Old 06-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's no point in shooting steel through a full (lead) choke. If the person involved were to pattern their shotgun with the full choke, they would find that they pattern poorly in most cases.