Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need used barrel for Model 70 Ranger 7 mag >

Need used barrel for Model 70 Ranger 7 mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need used barrel for Model 70 Ranger 7 mag

Old 05-25-2004, 06:31 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Default Need used barrel for Model 70 Ranger 7 mag

I stumbled and fell while carrying my 20-year-old Model 70 Ranger 7 mag (with iron sights). Another reason to have an empty chamber when hunting in tricky footing! The barrel is now bent.

I've been told that straightening it won't make it as accurate as before. Any ideas where I might find another barrel (used) that won't break the bank? I'm already looking at Auction Arms and Gunbroker, but no luck yet.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need used barrel for Model 70 Ranger 7 mag

There are places for old gun parts. Maybe they would have an original barrel that was never sold. Maybe Winchester can help you find a place. They would know where they sold their inventory of unused parts. Other than that, guess you'd have to find another used gun.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't even bother with a used barrel.

You are still going to have to have a gunsmith put it on just like a new barrel. Things he will have to do are...........Remove the old barrel, face off the receiver to get a truely flat face to torque on the barrel, face off the torque shoulder so that the sights and writing line up where they are suppoose to, Face off the breech to provide clearance for the bolt face, reream the chamber to achieve proper headspace, repolish the chamber. The only thing that he won't have to do is thread and crown the barrel. But I doubt that would save you any money there.

After he does all of this you will be left with less threads than what would be on a factory barrel. It probably would not effect any safe operation but I like to have all of my threads there to hold the barrel to the receiver.

You may as well fork out the money for a new barrel.
Go to http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/697469 and you can get a new Adams & Bennett barrel for $90.00. I don't know how good they are but here they are. For about $150.00 you can get a Montana barrel http://montanarifleman.com/barrelpricing.htm which are probably quite a bit better than A&B.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's not a bent barrel, it's an UPGRADE OPPORTUNITY!

This sounds like the perfect opportunity to turn your barreled action into a fine custom rifle. If you got to change the barrel and do all the work on the reciever that bigbulls described, you might as well buy a quality custom barrel and get the rifle accurized while your at it. A nice Shilen, Lilja or Hart barrel would be a great addition, and having the action bluprinted and trued up can't hurt, since you have to have the 'smith do some machine work anyway. Add a nice custom stock and, if needed, a sweet Timney or Shilen trigger, and you'd have yourself a tack-driving hunting machine!

If you gotta go, go all out![8D]

Mike
Old 06-16-2004, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

try ebay