Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 what gun should i get >

what gun should i get

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what gun should i get

Old 05-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what gun should i get

Being alittle hard on the kid aren't ya Nomercey,heck it's a good standard for a kid just learning to hunt.

So to your question 20gaNate,my vote is the same as bigbulls.The Winchester 1300 is hands down one of the most dependeble shotguns on the market.
I got mine when I was 13 a 12 ga,with 28 in. barrel,and I don't know how many pheasant,ducks,geese,turkeys or grouse that gun has killed but it has been a pile.I shoot a Improved Modified choke in it and it has preformed with out a flaw.
So if you wan't a 20ga. in that same gun I would go for it,the stores around here sell them for about $219.00 on sale in the fall and about 269.00 the rest of the year your choice of bore.
Happy hunting,and "Gitter Done"
Old 05-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would either buy the Winchester-1300 or the Remington 870-express.
I do not think a single shot shotgun is a good choice for an all-around shotgun. IMHO You will cripple too many birds that get away because your second shot will be too late.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:55 PM

ya i dont really want a single action (I would suck with one) i tryed one at my gun saftey and i got a shot of like every 10 seconds
Old 05-27-2004, 09:03 PM
DM

Hey Nate,

It's the first shot that counts!!! NOT the one 10 seconds later!!

I grew up with a single shot 20 ga, i got pretty good with it, and i still have it! I'm not telling you what to buy, but i wouldn't want you to look down on a shotgun, just because it's a single shot either!!

I fell in love with S&S shotguns when i was young, and it's still my first choise.

Drilling Man

Old 05-27-2004, 09:07 PM

what about mossbergs i saw one at the gander mountainweb page for like $200 are those good guns?
Old 05-27-2004, 09:31 PM

Remington 870 ! i bought one in 12 ga for my 14 year old son who is working to pay for it!
I picked it up used for $170 with a tru glo turkey choke. it cleaned up very well and i am going to add a synthetic stock.

I believe the 870 is the best value shotgun out there.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mossberg and Mavrick shotguns(the lower end) are ok,they get job done,but I think you get a better gun in the 1300's and 870,s for a little more money.I have only shot a few Mossbergs and I was not comfortable with the feel of them.
If you buy a shotgun it is best done in person so you can pick it up and swing it,or mount with your eyes closed so you get the feel of it.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:23 AM

ok im probably goin to go to a sporting-good store soon and look at thoose thanks for the help!!
Old 05-29-2004, 09:12 PM

Nate,
Remington, Winchester, Benelli and Mossberg are all great guns. You need to get the one that fits your price and you like the feel of. Each of these guns have good and bad things that each person likes and dislikes. Remember one thing, you need to get a gun that you work easily. The Mossberg has two things that are far better for use by new hunters. The Mossberg has a safety that sits on top of stock. That helps in keeping your fingers off the trigger when you are looking for the safety. The other nice feature is the slide release. It sits behind the trigger guard. It is easy to find and easy to reach. Once again it keeps your fingers from hitting the trigger before your ready. If I had my pick, I would go with the Mossberg 500. You are doing the right thing by asking others, but you are going to be the one shooting it, so pick the one you like.
Let us know which one you decide on and how it shoots.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:25 PM

alright im goin on sunday to look!!! I'll take your advice and I'll let you know which one I liked

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.