Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How many folks shoot with a ... >

How many folks shoot with a ...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How many folks shoot with a ...

Old 05-21-2004, 10:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How many folks shoot with a ...

I'm not sure which got me hooked on single shot guns,...a bow or a muzzleloader. They both tend to be single shot propisitions, so a single shot rifle seemed like a natural.
I have made the transition several years ago and have never looked back.
Like you, I feel if I can handle it during archery and muzzleloader season, then why not the rest of the year?
I think a person tends to take higher % shots and it really adds some more sport to the hunt.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:12 PM

My dad has used a Ruger #1 in .25-06 for years on deer and antelope. Its a pretty sweet gun and I have often used it myself.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt upland and small game almost exclusively with a single shot .410 break action Iver Johnson...I've hunted with H&R Buffalo Classic single shot .45-70's and Ruger No.1's. I'm a huge fan of single shot firearms, but they've got their place. While still hunting or drive hunting, you don't want a single shot, you're likely going to have less than perfect shots in ANY situation, but especially so in these cases where you're moving and shooting off hand...shotgunning is a little more forgiving, but I've lost game while struggling to reload in the past--then again I've lost game that I've just plain missed with my pump-guns and SxS's too!

As far as those people that claim to go out and hunt ONLY loading a single round in their rifle because it's more ethical, they're idiots either way, but they've either got an inferiority complex and feel they've got to try to one up everyone all the time, or they're trying to show off to make up for their true pit-falls. Putting only one round in a magazine rifle is like only putting a single gallon of gas in your car because you get 15mpg and live 14miles from your work which is a mile from the gas station, you'll only need one gallon right? Maybe, but it's better to be safe than sorry...putting your one shot through the gut of a deer and having it run off never to be found again---to die painfully later---because you're fumbling to reload your Win. 70 doesn't make you a good hunter for only using one shot.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:21 PM
Typical Buck

Nomercy,
I agree with you...sort of.
While still hunting or drive hunting, you don't want a single shot
I still hunt with a bow but would never drive with one. In fact I "drive" deer less than 1% of my total hunting, just don't like it.

I also agree with the second part of your post. If you carry a gun that holds more than 1 round...use the magazine!
Old 05-24-2004, 11:57 PM

Single shot in 22
50 cal muzel loader
bow
Air rifle
2 o/u shotguns but they wouldnt count

Derek
Old 05-25-2004, 04:27 AM

i have a H&R single shot in .410. i do like the way the gun swings. if i actually bought a single shot in a rilfe caliber like a encore in a rifle caliber. i would probally use just as much as any other hunting rifle.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am just getting my first Encore. It happened to have a 45-70 barrel on it. I am going to get a longer 260 barrel for it. My 260 Ruger just has a 22 inch barrel. The 260 really shines with a 24 or 26 inch barrel. I think 260 will be my first pistol barrel as well. That or a 7mm-08. The 250 Savage is another possibility for a handgun barrel.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:25 PM
DM

While still hunting or drive hunting, you don't want a single shot, you're likely going to have less than perfect shots in ANY situation,
I don't find this to be true for me, but it may be true for you??

I use my Drilling in drives, even when deer are driven to me. I still pick my shot just like i would with any other firearm i own, and i still get them with my first and only shot. In fact, Drillings were designed just for this purpose, you have one gun in your hands for anything that comes along.

No matter what firearm you carry, it's up to YOU to do your part, and for me that doesn't mean i'm depending on the 2nd or 3rd shot to do the job! I can't see how haveing 2, 3, or 4 more rounds in my gun will make my shot better??? AND, yes i am willing to, and "do" let game animials go by if the shot isn't what i want!

Drilling Man

Old 05-26-2004, 10:59 PM

Does Prairie doggin' count? If so, I like my old Savage 112-J in 22-250. I've turned hundreds of the critters into a sodden mess with that old single shot.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

yes i am willing to, and "do" let game animials go by if the shot isn't what i want!
This is why I believe SS rifles make you take higher % shots. Good on ya' DM

Does Prairie doggin' count? If so, I like my old Savage 112-J in 22-250. I've turned hundreds of the critters into a sodden mess with that old single shot.
Yup, I think so..."a sodden mess"...LOL that's a good one

Quick Reply: How many folks shoot with a ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.