Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 02-20-2002, 07:35 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-20-2002, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: barrel break in??

I'd say shoot several fairly hard and fast bullets, maybe three at a time, clean in between each set, for maybe a box or two worth, then get the barrel hot by shooting a bunch through it. I may be totally wrong though, I don't really believe in barrel break in any way, hell, it's all heat treated metal. I know that people claim that it creates a solid bore so your accuracy remains constant, but if your bullets will effect the metal once, they'll do it easier next time, so I don't really believe in it, but if I did, that's how I'd do it, like a car motor, run it easy until it's set, then run it in.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I should read your whole post before responding. I'd think that whatever you do for blued barrels would be fine for stainless, I might have it backwards, but I think I remember hearing that stainless is harder than the blued barrels, so you might have to be more aggressive with trying to break it in.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:08 PM

LA Bowhunter,
I use the same procedure for both CM and SS. First I clean them with Flitz Metal polish or JB bore paste before firing a shot. Then I run two solvent wetted patches and one dry patch after every shot for the first fifteen rounds. Then after that two wet patches and a dry one after every five shots until I have put about 50 rounds though it. Then I clean them completely. After firing about 150 rounds through a rifle I usually clean them with JB bore paste, and every 150 rounds thereafter. This method works for me, but everyone has their own method.

Rem. 222
Old 02-20-2002, 09:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-20-2002, 10:23 PM

Hey dcan, I was just about to direct La Bowhunter to snipercountry.com to read that very article. Just bought a new Rem 700 VLS in .223 ,no break in, groups under an inch at 100yds.
Old 02-21-2002, 03:12 AM

<font size=4>IMO,Break-in,for a new factory barrel,must start with a cleaning of the bore,before firing the first round thru it.The barrel will have dirt and grit in it,from the factory.This is about as abrasive as you can get!Then,do your break-in thing,with it?
As to the JB type of bore cleaners,I ruined 2 barrels with the stuff!What you don't expect,is that each stroke of the cleaner,is taking a part of the throat from the barrel.I cleaned the throats out of the 2 barrels,i mentioned!1 was a Douglas and the other was a factory Remington.
Stainless steel is softer than Chrome-moly steel barrels.
I agree,with the idea of soaking a barrel with solvent,waiting and then patching it out.Doing this,until it is showing little or no dis-colored patches.
The old saying&quot;Haste,makes waste&quot;,is true,when cleaning you rifle barrels.IMHO.
Mounting Man/WillyP.</font id=size4>
Old 02-21-2002, 06:23 AM
RNZ

Thanks for the info, dcan and longhair, I'm going to make sure I don't overclean my new rifle now.
Old 02-21-2002, 06:28 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-21-2002, 07:32 AM

Where is everyone hearing all these JB bore paste horror stories? I've used jb for three years now and haven't ruined any barrels. If you all want the real story on it go to www.benchrest.com and ask these guys. I seriously doubt you could ruin a barrel if you used JB exclusively for cleaning.
Using a jointed aluminum cleaning rod and dirty brushes will do far greater damage.

Rem. 222