Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Still trying to decide... >

Still trying to decide...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Still trying to decide...

Old 05-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Still trying to decide...

Hey everyone... I have a caliber question and I was ale to find this particular comparison in the archives...

I am looking at Browning A-bolt rifles and trying to decide between .270 win , .270 WSM, and .280 Rem. I love the flat trajectory of all of these cartrages. I like the .270 due to the availaility of ammo in both cartrages. that's what i don't like about the .280, it's a little harder to find... but i like the .280 due to its ability to shoot a heavier load in case the opportunity presents itself that i might be able to hunt big game... my question is mainly etween the .270 WSM and the .280... which packs more punch? thanks for the help...

BTW... this will mainly be used for deer, hopefully elk someday, and perhaps hogs...
Old 05-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Still trying to decide...

Nothing that you shoot eill ever know the difference between the two. The WSM will have a flatter trajectory at ranges beyond 300 yards but both will result in dead animals.

A 140 or 150 grain bullet out of the .270WSM or a 150 - 160 grain bullet out of the .280 will effectively kill deer, elk, moose, or what ever you decide to hunt in the states.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could pick any of the three & end up with a great gun either way. The only help I might be to you is reminding you about ammo cost?
The 270-Winchester will be the cheapest & most avalible ammo.
The 270-WSM is the "new & sexy" round on the block. The sales have been strong, so the 270-WSM is here to stay. The ammo for the 270-WSM is about $10.00 a box more that the standard 270-winchester around here.
The 280 is another fine choice. The 280 is a 7mm caliber bullet. The ammo for the 280 sells for about the same price as the 270-winchester. I really do not think there is any advantage to the 280 unless you reload? Even if you reload the advantage would be marginal. If you bought the 280 & had a gunsmith ream it out to 280-A.I. then you would have an advantage.
Good luck in making your choice.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:31 PM

I can't really see the reason for either the 270 wsm or the 280. Both are good calibers, but the cost of ammo and being able to find it if needed pushes them both to the back of the list.

The 270 Winchester will do anything those other two will, when hunting. Use 130 grain for varmints and small deer, 150 grain for large deer, elk, and black bear. At 300 yards and beyond, you the shooter is the most important factor, not the caliber of the rifle you're shooting. The 300 magnums are useless when shot at 300+ yards if the shooter shouldn't be shooting that far.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

would have to say 270.. just from the stand point of ammo availability.. around here it's as available as 30.06. Any of these IMO will take down most things you will hunt. I guess you would have to ask yourself which one based on what other guns and caliber's you own. I just purchased a 7mm-08 and find it to be one of the best cartriges i have ever shot. I was looking for a 4th rifle and considered the 280/270 but already had a 30.06 so there was almost to much overlap. Even though the 7mm is quite close, it has about 1/2 the recoil and is a pleasant gun to shot at the range vs the 06 after a few boxes of ammo.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

thanks... keep 'em coming!!!
Old 05-14-2004, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just purchased a 7mm-08 and find it to be one of the best cartriges i have ever shot. I was looking for a 4th rifle and considered the 280/270 but already had a 30.06 so there was almost to much overlap
Too much overlap indeed. Look at the ballistic charts. The 270 & 7mm-08 are almost one in the same. Look for a smaller or larger round for your next rifle. You will be glad you did in the future. 257-Roberts or 338-win mag come to mind.
I overlapped too many guns myself so now I am paying the price.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:41 PM
Dominant Buck

If you can wait, look into the 25 wsm. It looks like it will be a sweet shooter. If I was buying another 270, id go with the wsm. I have an abolt in 270. Its a great gun. They hadnt come out with the short mags when I bought it or I would have gone with the short mag.

Personally Id go with a 30-06 or 300. Just personal oppinion. I have them all and love the 30s. I feel the 30-06 is a more versital round than the 270. Either one is a great gun.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:01 PM

Before buying a WSM or worse a WSSM try racking a few through the chamber quickly. My buddy has a 270 WSM ABolt and at least 5 of 10 times through they jam or don't feed right. A good old 270 with Hornady Light Mags will do all that a short mag will. I f you reload you will have issues seating longer(heavier) bullets because of lack of headspace. I sound like an old codger but they seem just to be the sexxy choice. Check the ballistics out on 140 gr light mags on Horady's website.

Good luck
Old 05-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since deer and hogs seem to be your present and near future in terms of hunting opp. I'd go with the 270 win, which would also be ok for the occasional elk hunt as well. Now if you are planning an elk trip or to hunt elk regularily my choice would be the 280 rem of those mentioned.

You could insert an 06 or move up to a 7 rem mag or 300 which would also suffice for now and almost anything in the future. If your worried about recoil the 06 will boot no harder than any of the ones you mentioned, the 7 rem mag would be a bit more but is tolerable and the 300 would be the most in the recoil department still most don't find it over the top.

Quick Reply: Still trying to decide...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.