Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I Need A Pistol >

I Need A Pistol

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I Need A Pistol

Old 05-13-2004, 08:56 PM

Default I Need A Pistol

Hey everyone! I'm looking for a good home defence semi-auto pistol. I want a .45 or .45 auto caliber pistol. I don't want a real expensive one, but I want one that will hold up well. I don't know which brand of pistol to buy. Which one has better quality? Any info. will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-14-2004, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I Need A Pistol

Go with either a SIG or a H&K.
Real reliable and I seen a SIG Compact in the 45 cal. for about $ 425.00.

I dont think you will dis. with one of those.

Good Luck
Leroy.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:53 AM
bigcountry

If I was you, I would go with a glock in 45. No safeties to cause you problems when groggy in the middle of the night. Also much cheaper. Don't even think about H K if on a budget.

Old 05-14-2004, 07:12 AM

Hi halet1,

If you are looking for a solid, reliable, .45ACP on a budget it would be hard to go wrong with a Ruger. (There are a number of really good .45's on the market, but few that are less expensive or more reliable than Ruger's!)

Good luck.

Dave
Old 05-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

depending on the budget, Kimer and Colt oth make great guns... but if on a budget, it's harder to get better than a Glock for the price...
Old 05-14-2004, 09:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'll throw Springfield Armory into the mix, too. If you're into 1911's, they have a Mil-Spec A1 with three-dot sights for around the $500 mark (some gun shops charge more, but I've found great deals online).
Old 05-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

If you are looking for a solid, reliable, .45ACP on a budget it would be hard to go wrong with a Ruger. (There are a number of really good .45's on the market, but few that are less expensive or more reliable than Ruger's!)
I'll second this notion. I own both 1911-A1 type pistols and a Ruger P-97.
IMO the P-97 may be the way to go for you.

I'm looking for a good home defence semi-auto pistol. I want a .45 or .45 auto caliber pistol. I don't want a real expensive one, but I want one that will hold up well.
It definitely meets your criteria!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Springfield Armory make the 45-acp in there XD-model. The XD-model sells for $450.00 to $500.00 around here.
The Sprigfield Aromry XD-model is a solid choice. IMHO
Old 05-14-2004, 12:02 PM

If the SA XD .45 is as solid a performer as the XD .40 then it will be a really good pistol as well! (I usually hate to buy anything the first year out......just in case there are bugs.)

Once again, good luck!

Dave
Old 05-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Glock 21 is an outstanding pistol IMO, perticularly is you have large hands like I do. And a Glock won't break the bank if you're on a budget. Ruger semi-autos are good guns, but I found that I don't care for the way they feel and fit in my hand, and as a result I don't shoot then very well.

I've never shot an XD (yet), but the XD's reputation speaks for itself. From what I've heard from owners here and elsewhere, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them, and they're fairly priced to boot.

If you like a 1911 clone there are many to choose from. I'd be a little leery about buying a 1911 with all the custom bells and whistles designed to make it "match grade." I've known of very expensive custom 1911's that were deadly accurate with JRN and cast lead bullets that wouldn't feed many of the "large mouth" JHP's very well. Remember that accuracy isn't the most important attribute for a defensive pistol...RELIABILITY is. Doesn't matter if you can shoot the wings off a fly at 25 yards if the pistol doesn't fire when you really need it to. People tend to get hung up on accuracy, but when you consider that the average range of a defensive pistol encounter is 21 feet (7 yards), shooting a 2" group at 25 yards isn't really all that important. I'd say an acceptable standard for accuracy for a defensive pistol is 4" at 25 yards. With 4" or less, any shot that's aimed center mass on a human being will still hit meat, and that's what counts.

The Glocks, XD's, Sigs, H&K's, and Rugers all are designed as defensive pistols with reliability as the primary concern. Many, but not all, of the 1911 clones are designed to be accurate first. Kinber makes a number of great service grade versions that you might consider, and so do many of the other makers of 1911's out there (and there are LOTS).

SIG just introduced its version if the Model 1911A1 called the SIG GSR. There's a review of it in the June 2004 issue of Shooting Times if you're interested. It's a top notch quality (like anything SIG makes ISN'T) 1911 with a unique "SIG look" about it. Another semi-unique feature is the Picatinny rail system behind the dust cover. As a home defense gun, a picatinny rail allows for the easy mounting on a tactical light and/or laser sight. A plus when trying to positively identify targets in the dark while still fuzzy from sleep, IMO. The MSRP is $1077, but I'll bet it'll sell for a bit less than that, making it competitively priced with other 1911's of this quality. If I were in the market for a new pistol in .45ACP I'd give this one a good hard look.

Mike

Quick Reply: I Need A Pistol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.