Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope delima, cheap vs  expensive >

Scope delima, cheap vs expensive

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope delima, cheap vs expensive

Old 05-05-2004, 08:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Scope delima, cheap vs expensive

I have an old Bushnell(about 30 years0 The other day I dropped the rifle on a cement sidewalk and dinged it pretty good. I did the freezer thing with it. I put it in the deep freeze overnight then threw it in a sink of hot dish water. No fog or steam or anything. Quess its ok. Still shoots good. I love the newer Simmons 6X pro-hunter. I took it out a couple nights ago along with my best Luepold. I watched some deer with them in the park acroos the road from my house. That Simmons showed those deer much clearer about dark than my Luepold. Time will tell weather it will stand up for many years but I am betting it will. There are bucket fulls of scopes under 250 that will last a life time or two and give excellent service. I have never missed an animal or a shot at an anuimal because of a faulty scope. This in 48 years of hunting with scopes.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:40 PM

The other day I dropped the rifle on a cement sidewalk and dinged it pretty good. I did the freezer thing with it. I put it in the deep freeze overnight then threw it in a sink of hot dish water. No fog or steam or anything.
Jim, I can safely assume that Mercedes Benz will never ask you to field test any cars for them in the near future!!
Old 05-05-2004, 09:46 PM

Seriously folks, here's a little test you can do to REALLY see if the scope you're looking to buy is worth it or not.

1. Pick out a Nikon, Leupold, Swarovsky (sp) or other "high dollar" scope.

2. Then pick out a scope of lesser cost. If they are adjustable, set both on the same power level (less magnification is better for this test)

*Now it's not fair comparing 40mm scopes to 50mm scopes on this test, so keep them the same. You're testing manufacture, not features*.

3. Now flip both scopes around, and look through the objective ends of them (hold them out side by side like binoculars but away from your face so you can basically see the same thing through both scopes).

You will be amazed at not only the brightness of most higher dollar scopes, but also the clarity of the object you're looking at.

PS. This test will work for all types of optical equipment including binoculars.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:50 AM
bigcountry

True, they are bright. Most of us really don't need bright but rarely. But this is our hobby. So we usually don't skimp.

I have tried and tried the cheap scope theory. It hasn't worked out for me. Most recently, I tried to get a fixed 2X Pine Ridge for my Muzzleloader. I got this about 2 years ago and used this combo for two seasons. The glare from the white sky in my eyepiece was horrible. Made difficult for early morning shots. Wouldn't happen with a higher dollar coating. Ok, then at the range, I needed to move the recticle down 2MOA and over 2MOA. It was all over the place. I looked at the adjustment thru a collimator and was shocked. Did not move smoothly at all. And 2MOA adjustement was more like 1MOA in one direction and 3MOA windage. So I just put on a Leupold VarX III 1.5-5X20 I got off ebay for around 300 dollars. Couldn't be happier. Now I am just bothered that I get all that residue on a scope worth more than the gun from my 209 primers.

This is only one incident out of 3 for me. I have always ended up changing to another scope.

Old 05-06-2004, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

rkbo.. I also like to buy refurbished if I can .. where are you finding them and what brands? ..Thanks Bill
Old 05-06-2004, 12:43 PM

I have always thought the important thing was scope clarity. I would purchase a clear cheap scope, about $80. But no more. I have had two cheap scope failures in the last two years. Rifle recoil is not the problem. Both were caused by 4 wheeler viberation. You can shake the scope and hear the insides rattle. Both were Tasco. And yes, I carry the gun unloaded and in a hard gun case on the 4 wheeler. Now I try to find good used scopes at pawn shops. I missed a Burris for $60. The man was paying for it when I arrived. However, I did get a good Redfield 3 to 9 a couple weeks later.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Danny45. It was a bone headed trick. I had the rifles and several other things in my hands and was trying to unlock the front door without setting everything down. I knew better but sometimes those brain farts get me. I don't use the cheapest scopes from any companies except for some of the cheaper FIXED POWER scopes. Just never seen one go bad. I will not however use a real cheap variable power scope. Many years ago they would change POI with change in power. Some of the first expesnive scopes had the same problem. I have Tascoe pronghorns 4X on four different rifles. They have been on them for six years so far. Never a problem. I have two Leupold 3x9x40 and one M8 4X. they work graet but no better than my Swift and Mid priced Simmons. 60.00 +. I still want a M8 6x42. My favorite scopes are Straight 6x and 2x7 powers.
If I ever have a problem with the Bushells and Simmons, believe me I won't be buying any more. I have a little trouble when I hear someone say " I have tried upteen of those cheap scopes and they all failed me. DAAAHH! WHY???
Old 05-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Always buy cheapie scopes! That way, it won't cost you much to replace the one you bought last week, when it goes ka-flooey! If you want to see how the Leupold is better than the Simmons, put them both on a Ruger No.1H 7.5 pound .45/70's and load your 400 grain bullet up to 2270 FPS MV. See which one's adjustments still work after five rounds..... (Hint: It WON'T be the Simmons!!)
Old 05-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I did have a Bushnell Banner on a Ruger No 1 in 416 Remington Mag for several years. It was a stright 6X I sold the rifle but that scope is still in use now on my 260 Remington. A friend of mine has a Simmons Aetec on his 458 Win Mag and its made several trips to Africa. Most all companies make some good and not so good scopes. I would put the Aetec up against anything short of a Night Force or Shepard. The Aetec is good for the big Magnums because it has 5 inches of eye relief. Midway sells them fior 139.00. I just ordered one for my Marlin 45-70.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:49 PM

I hate like heck to pay the price, but give me a Leupold or Nikon any day over a cheapo. I would hate to lose a big buck because I tried to save $150 on a scope. If I'm going to try to save money it will be on the rifle. A good Savage or Ruger will do everything you want without breaking the bank, and leave some extra for the scope.

Quick Reply: Scope delima, cheap vs expensive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.