Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7mm mag or 7mm wsm >

7mm mag or 7mm wsm

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm mag or 7mm wsm

Old 05-02-2004, 02:03 PM

Default 7mm mag or 7mm wsm

im debating witch rifle to get a 7mm mag or a 7mm wsm. i will be hunting bear and dear .and the price should be under $510
Old 05-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7mm mag or 7mm wsm

For black bear and deer either of them should suit you nicely. Should you wish to venture out after the bigger stuff (moose and the bigger bears) I'd personally prefer any of the longer 7MM magnums.....REM, STW, or RUM.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 7mm Rem Mag has worked fine for me.I see no point in switching now.Both are fine cartridges but I like my 7mmRM's. A good flat shooting round.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ruger-Redhawk

The 7mm Rem Mag has worked fine for me.I see no point in switching now.Both are fine cartridges but I like my 7mmRM's. A good flat shooting round.

Ruger Redhawk
Ditto that!
Beware, there are so many new calibers on the market, some are bound to fail! If you reload, that may be no problem! If not, someday you may have a hard time comming by ammo!
Old 05-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

None of the three WSM's are going to be going anywhere. There are already way too many rifles chambered in them for them to dissappear.

Either one of them will kill anything you would hunt with them. You nor the animals will ever notice a bit of difference in the performance between the two.

Personally I would choose the WSM simply because it is a short action and there is no belt on the case but I just prefer that on my guns.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:43 PM

None of the three WSM's are going to be going anywhere. There are already way too many rifles chambered in them for them to dissappear.
Hey bigbulls, I will have to agree with you on this, but just out of curiosity, how do you think the Rem. Short Action Ultra Mag.'s will fare over the years? Does anybody other than Remington chamber them, if not, I don't really see how they can last, especially with the diminishing QC that everyone has been quoting Rem. for. What do you guys think?
Old 05-02-2004, 09:26 PM

hey thanks guys is there any brands that you would recommend that arent over $510.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd agree with the consensus that the WSM cartridges aren't going anywhere. The last time I was in Scheel's I noticed that for every rifle chambered in the long version (7mm Rem Mag, .300Win Mag, and .270Win...there were no .270 Weatherby Mags), there were at least three rifles in the corresponding WSM calibers. And according to the sales guy, who had no reason to lie since he knew I wasn't there to buy one, they are selling the WSM rifles like hotcakes. The most popular are the .300WSM and .270WSM.

I personally think that the WSM's fill a useful niche in the sporting caliber range. They provide many benefits inherent to the short design (efficiency, consistancy, etc...), allow the hunter to have respectable but reasonable firepower in a smaller, lighter rifle, and meet or exceed the performance of their full sized cousins in most loadings. It's a recipe for success if you ask me. The only area I think they fall short of their big cousins is when loading the heaviest bullet weights, so I don't think that the belted mags are doomed to obsolecense yet, but the WSM's are giving them a good run for their money.

As for the SAUM's, I've never even seen a rifle chambered in one on sale in any of the local gun stores, so if I were a betting man I'd wager that it's the SAUM shooters who'll be searching for factory loads long before the WSM's shooters are.

Now if we were talking about the new WSSM's, well I think that the jury is still out on those, but I really don't think that they're as much of a contender against their cousin cartridges as the WSM's are, mostly because they provide no significant advantage over the cartridges they are designed to compete with from the information I've seen. I could be wrong though...never underestimate the power of a fad, eh?!

Mike
Old 05-02-2004, 10:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

WSM's.............Winchester, Browning, Ruger, Howa / Weatherby Vanguard, Sako, Tikka, Kimber, Savage, HS Precision, Montana rifleman, ??????

SAUM..............Remington, Ruger, ??????

Numerous companies load for the WSM's but I think that only Remington loads for the SAUM's. Heck even Remington loads for the .270WSM.

I wouldn't bet on the Remington SAUM's being here for very long.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with a 7mm Mag. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.