Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sako vs. Weatherby vs. Browning >

Sako vs. Weatherby vs. Browning

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sako vs. Weatherby vs. Browning

Old 04-29-2004, 11:13 AM

Default RE: Sako vs. Weatherby vs. Browning

It's hard to beat the Browning A-Bolts. I've had two of them. But I sure like that adjustable trigger and smooth action on the Sako and Tikka Whitetail Hunters. That trigger alone swayed me to the WH this time. Browning also has a adjustable trigger, but it's not as sweet as the Sako/Tikka trigger. Mine would only go down to about 4 1/2 pounds where the Sako/Tikka will go down to about 2 pounds. And the action is slicker than greased snot on a brass door knob.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:21 AM
eck

Danny - FWIW, before I went hunting with my A-Bolt I adjusted the trigger pull down to a bit over 3 lb... which was great for the bench.

But when I fired my rifle for the first time in earnest (at an elk)... I found that a little over 3 lb was too light. In the excitement of the moment of a follow-up shot, I squeezed off a round prematurely.

I have since increased the trigger pull to 4 lb... which should be a good compromise.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

But when I fired my rifle for the first time in earnest (at an elk)... I found that a little over 3 lb was too light. In the excitement of the moment of a follow-up shot, I squeezed off a round prematurely.
eck, their in lies the problem you shouldn't need that follow up shot with your abolt. Just ribbing you!!!!!!!

I have all my rifles set around 3 lbs but like everything else it is all personal feel!
Old 04-29-2004, 12:33 PM

I prefer around 3 pounds myself for hunting. But 2 pounds on the bench sure is fun and accurate. Not to mention when you let a buddy try it out. The look on their faces when they touch the trigger is worth the price of the gun itself. LOL
Old 04-29-2004, 02:14 PM
eck

Skeeter - Gotta tell ya... I agree... I shouldn't.

Truth is... I just started hunting big game... and my brain stopped workin' when I saw my first elk within range... walkin' around the base of the hill opposite my position some 400+ yds away.

After radioing to my buddy at the top of that hill... that he had a cow walkin' below him... I took up a seated shooting position with my elbows between my knees... and proceeded to squeeze off the first round making a slight adjustment for the fact that she was walking.

What I FAILED to do is... adjust for range. Stupid?... yeah. But she went down... turns out that my first shot hit her in her left front foreleg.

Wasn't until I was changing clips, totally NOT understanding how I missed the 2nd and 3rd shots that I realized my blunder. My next shot took her through her lungs.

Have since bought a digital rangefinder. Next time I'm gonna KNOW the range. lol.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:19 PM

Truth is... I just started hunting big game... and my brain stopped workin' when I saw my first elk within range... walkin' around the base of the hill opposite my position some 400+ yds away.
I don't want you to take this personally, but if you just started hunting big game, I hope you have a lot of other types of shooting experience to be shooting 400+ yards.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

You cant go wrong with any of the three. If I really had to choose, I would take the Weatherby.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

FrozenOkie, the .270 Win would be a great round. One of these days I'm going to buy myself one. You would also do well with any of the numerous other cartridges in this same range of performance.

There's only one reason I use the bigger rounds right now: because I want to. As long as I'm not bothered by the recoil and can shoot them accurately, which I can, I'll keep using em'. I just like plain like them, but I know quite well that for my kind of hunting, which is pretty much the same kind of hunting you described for yourself, they aren't needed.

Good luck on your rifle purchase.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:35 PM
eck

Danny - Not taken personally. I understand your comment/concern.

Some of my experience is dated... I used to varmit hunt back in southern IL apple orchards in the 70s... shooting a .22-250 at long range woodchucks... but that experience aside, my confidence in taking a 400 yd shot like the one that I described comes from my shooting experience at the range.

I've got my rifle finely zeroed and shooting within .25 MOA. I'm confident that I could make that same kill with one shot today.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

eck, you never said it took you 4 shots and 2 clips to finally put her down[]. You mentioned the light trigger was the culprit in your first post but then admitted to not knowing the range, which was the real reason you missed her on 1-2-3. In any regards glad to hear you got your gun and other stuff figured out..best of luck next season!

One question how do you get an elk to stand & look at you for 4 shots?
I never seen like that before where we hunt[&o]

Quick Reply: Sako vs. Weatherby vs. Browning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.